Crash while saving

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

RichPasco

Crash while saving

Post by RichPasco »

I'm using TextPad 5.4.2 under Windows 7 Pro (64-bit). Most of the time it works well, but every once in a while, it crashes while I'm saving a file (e.g. by Ctrl-S). In each case the behavior is the same: The screen is washed out (all text gets pale), TextPad is non-responsive, and when I close it, Windows reports "Searching for a solution" but never finds one. The "new" file left on my hard disk is the right size but it's all nulls (0x00) instead of the text it should be. Fortunately I have Textpad's Backup option enabled so I can recover my old data from FILE.BAK.

I had previously experienced this same problem with TextPad 5.3.1. I hoped the upgrade to 5.4.2 would fix it, but it didn't.

- Rich
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Please send a copy of the dump file to "support@textpad.com" and we'll take a look at the problem for you.
RichPasco

Where is dump file?

Post by RichPasco »

bbadmin wrote:Please send a copy of the dump file to "support@textpad.com" and we'll take a look at the problem for you.
Excuse a dumb question, but which dump file? Where?

There are lots of subfolders under
C:\Users\pasco\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive
whose names begin AppHang_TextPad.exe_* and each contains a small text file report.wer -- that one?

I couldn't find anything that looked like a dump file either in
C:\Program Files (x86)\TextPad 5
or
C:\Users\pasco\AppData\Roaming\Helios\TextPad\5.0
dvdvnr

Re: Crash while saving

Post by dvdvnr »

I am also experiencing (almost) the same problem. The only difference is that the "new" file is always zero length.

I have sent Helios 3 copies of the Report.wer file (from the last 3 crashes).

My current PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on an i5 CPU with 12GB RAM - I was previously using Windows 7 Pro 32-bit (on an older PC - Core 2 Duo with 3GB RAM) and didn't experience any crashes with TextPad on that.
RichPasco

Re: Crash while saving

Post by RichPasco »

dvdvnr wrote:My current PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on an i5 CPU with 12GB RAM - I was previously using Windows 7 Pro 32-bit (on an older PC - Core 2 Duo with 3GB RAM) and didn't experience any crashes with TextPad on that.
I should note that my previous PC ran Windows XP Pro (32 bit) and never had any TextPad crashes. The problems began on my new PC running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.
mgpayne

similar issue on XP SP 3

Post by mgpayne »

I previously had Textpad 5.3.1 installed and never had this issue. After upgrading to 5.4.2 things have worked fine except for the crash on attempted save just now. Does anyone know where to find the log on XP?

Thanks!
RichPasco

Re: similar issue on XP SP 3

Post by RichPasco »

mgpayne wrote:Does anyone know where to find the log on XP?
Stephen MacDonald of TextPad Customer Support e-mailed me the following instructions. Of course this is for Win7 but it should work for XP as well.
Check for a dump file as follows:

Right click on My Computer and select Properties. Then select Advanced System Settings on the left menu. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click on Settings. Make sure "Write an event to the system log" is checked and "Automatically Restart" is unchecked. In the drop down menu under "Write Debugging Information," select Small memory dump (256 KB). It will also show you the location of the dumps. The default location is SystemRoot%\Minidump.

I hope this helps.
RichPasco

No dump file

Post by RichPasco »

When I last posted in January, I verified that my System Settings were as described above, except my Small Dump directory is %SystemRoot%\Minidump (Stephen omitted the leading % mark).

And since then TextPad has crashed many times, when saving a file. But still, my %SystemRoot%\Minidump folder remains empty.

Can anyone advise how to proceed to get this fixed?

- Rich