Right click for a zip file is not working in Textpad

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

bhavaniasok008

Right click for a zip file is not working in Textpad

Post by bhavaniasok008 »

Hi,

I am unable to open a zip file using textpad, I mean right click never works within open-> a zip file, can somebody suggest?
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I presume you just want to view the zip file not look inside it?

Do you have TextPad on the Explorer context menu for other files types?
Running TextPad 5.4 on Windows XP SP3 and on OS X 10.7 under VMWare or Crossover.
bhavaniasok008

Post by bhavaniasok008 »

No, I can see the Zip file, but I cannot open it inside Textpad, for example, inside Textpad, CTRL+O--->say we have an excel file called TEST.CSV, now if I right click, I can see options like, open, openwith etc,
similar thing is not happening with a zip file. Hope my explanation is clear.
I am using TEXTPAD5.
woho

Post by woho »

I just tried myself
Textpad/File/Open.. => Windows dialog appears
Here I get a context menu with right click on files of different extensions
When I right click on a *.zip file I do not get a context menu at all - strange

Found a workaround for use in TP:
Textpad/View/Explorer: here also *.zip files have a contextmenu - also with 'open'/ 'open with'
bhavaniasok008

Post by bhavaniasok008 »

woho wrote:I just tried myself
Textpad/File/Open.. => Windows dialog appears
Here I get a context menu with right click on files of different extensions
When I right click on a *.zip file I do not get a context menu at all - strange

Found a workaround for use in TP:
Textpad/View/Explorer: here also *.zip files have a contextmenu - also with 'open'/ 'open with'
Thanks. But when I tried at home in my personal Laptop, the above is working, but in my office PC, it's not working, I tried other PC of my colleague as well. Looks very strange. I believe some settings neet to be modified from the preference Menu. Can somebody suggest please?
bhavaniasok008

Post by bhavaniasok008 »

jerry0503222 wrote:I presume you just want to view the zip file not look inside it?

Do you have TextPad on the Explorer context menu for other files types?
No, I actually want to view the files inside zip file using context menu inside textpad.

Also, TEXTPAD is not on the explorer where context menu is present for other file types.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

bhavaniasok008 wrote:No, I actually want to view the files inside zip file using context menu inside textpad.
TextPad won't let you see the individual files in a zip file. All you will see is something like the file below.

You may be able to see the names of the files within the zip archive in the last few bytes of the file.

To enable the context menu in Explorer have you enabled this in TextPad's preferences?

Hope this helps.
Running TextPad 5.4 on Windows XP SP3 and on OS X 10.7 under VMWare or Crossover.
bhavaniasok008

Post by bhavaniasok008 »

SteveH wrote:
bhavaniasok008 wrote:No, I actually want to view the files inside zip file using context menu inside textpad.
TextPad won't let you see the individual files in a zip file. All you will see is something like the file below.

You may be able to see the names of the files within the zip archive in the last few bytes of the file.

To enable the context menu in Explorer have you enabled this in TextPad's preferences?

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply. But after I enable also, I am unable to open, Please help.

[img]C:\Documents and Settings\Ashok.K.IMRBINT\Desktop\Untitled.htm
[/img]
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

You've posted an image link to a file on your desktop.

Could you say what version of Windows (32-bit or 64-bit) you are using and what version of TextPad?

TextPad, on it's own can't see files inside zip files. It might be possible to do this with a Windows Explorer plug-in but I don't use Windows much and can't help you there.
bhavaniasok008

Post by bhavaniasok008 »

SteveH wrote:You've posted an image link to a file on your desktop.

Could you say what version of Windows (32-bit or 64-bit) you are using and what version of TextPad?

TextPad, on it's own can't see files inside zip files. It might be possible to do this with a Windows Explorer plug-in but I don't use Windows much and can't help you there.
Thanks for your reply. My version is Windows 32 only. Text pad 5.4.2. Earlier (when I joined in my company), I am not sure about the version (5 years back), we were able to use the context menu for a zip file inside textpad, but now we are unable to see that. What I mean is, inside TEXTPAD, CTRL+O, right click on any zip file, you will not be able to see the options like Open, open with etc, whereas for any other file types like csv, excel, pdf, we will be able to see all such options.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I see exactly the same as you. If I have an Open File(s) dialog open in TexPad I can right-click on files and get the usual exporer context menu but not for zip files. If I do the same in Word I can right-click on zip files.

I'm still not clear on why you need to do this though.
bhavaniasok008

Post by bhavaniasok008 »

SteveH wrote:I see exactly the same as you. If I have an Open File(s) dialog open in TexPad I can right-click on files and get the usual exporer context menu but not for zip files. If I do the same in Word I can right-click on zip files.

I'm still not clear on why you need to do this though.
Generally we work more on textpad and generate huge no. of zip files as outputs, before sending we would like to check contents, to check the contents, we currently copy those zip files to desktop, check them and then attach in mail, so desktop will be filled unnecessarily (we cannot keep them on our desktop because of certain norms of ISMS), it will be really helpful if we can open inside itself.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I'm still not sure I follow but it sounds like it's a case for Helios support as you have exhausted other options.

I don't understand why TextPad's Open File(s) window should be behave any differently to say Word's.

Good luck
helios

Post by helios »

SteveH is right, you can only view a zip file in TextPad in Binary mode.

If you have enabled the Explorer option from the View menu in TextPad, you can right click on a zip file and choose Open With WinZip(if it is installed on your PC), and then double click or drag and drop the relevant files to open them in TextPad.

I hope this helps.
Helios Software Solutions