[Bug] Wordwrap Strings and Wordwrap Home Key

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

kranu

[Bug] Wordwrap Strings and Wordwrap Home Key

Post by kranu »

When I have syntax highlighting and word wrap enabled, strings do not wrap across multiple lines. Instead, the end of the string gets cutoff; the horizontal scrollbar is not even activated. I have tested that this is present in Textpad 5.4.2.

Another problem that occurs when wordwrap is enabled is that the Smart Home key no longer works. For example, instead of going to where the beginning of where the text starts (after the indentation), the home key brings you to the very beginning of the line. In the image below, the green circle is where the home key should bring you, but the home key actually brings you to the red circle.

Please fix these bugs. I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but I could not find a bug section in these forums.
helios

Post by helios »

I don't know what operating system you are using, but we can't reproduce the word wrapping behaviour here. Perhaps someone else would be kind enough to give it a try and let us know the result.

The Home key may be assigned to LineLeft instead of LineStart, under Configure/Preferences/Keyboard
Helios Software Solutions
kranu

Post by kranu »

I have Windows 7 x32 with Textpad 5.4.2

I've posted two issues here. Have you been unable to produce either?
miked

Post by miked »

I can confirm the first problem exist (Windows 7 64 bit and V5.4.2)

It occurs when using the C or Java document classes, but not with html or txt. I had never noticed the problem before though because I normally write in C where apostrophes only surround one character.

In the syntax file you are using, is StringStart set to an apostrophe?
kranu

Post by kranu »

miked wrote:In the syntax file you are using, is StringStart set to an apostrophe?
I'm using the syntax files downloaded from the Textpad site, but I believe so.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

kranu wrote:I'm using the syntax files downloaded from the Textpad site, but I believe so.
Then have a look at the syntax files you are using. Just open them in Textpad and look!

There are hundreds of syntax files available for download here, and only you know which of them you are using - you do not even mention for which language your syntax files are (and that would not be enough, as for some languages there are several syntax files ...)

Go to "syntax" in the preferences of your document class, then click on the "open" button next to the syntax file name - you now have the syntax file opened in textpad. Now look for the StringStart setting ...
kranu

Post by kranu »

MudGuard wrote:
kranu wrote:I'm using the syntax files downloaded from the Textpad site, but I believe so.
Then have a look at the syntax files you are using. Just open them in Textpad and look!

There are hundreds of syntax files available for download here, and only you know which of them you are using - you do not even mention for which language your syntax files are (and that would not be enough, as for some languages there are several syntax files ...)

Go to "syntax" in the preferences of your document class, then click on the "open" button next to the syntax file name - you now have the syntax file opened in textpad. Now look for the StringStart setting ...
I did check, but I wasn't sure, so I said "I believe so".
For my screenshot, I used this syntax file:
http://www.textpad.com/add-ons/files/sy ... jshtml.zip

It states that

Code: Select all

StringStart = "
StringEnd = "
and

Code: Select all

CharStart = '
CharEnd = '
Although for my example I used the single quotes, the same problem occurs with the double quotes.
kranu

Over a month

Post by kranu »

I's been over a month, and no official has acknowledged this problem. I've used TextPad for a long time, but it doesn't seem to be maintained anymore. It's a dead project that the publisher hopes to make money off of. I'm truly disappointed. I guess it's time to shop for a new text editor. So long..
ak47wong

Re: Over a month

Post by ak47wong »

Helios did release a maintenance upgrade two months ago so it's not quite a dead product, but official support has always been close to non-existent.
kranu

Post by kranu »

Yes they did it two months ago; and they didn't bother to fix this.
helios

Post by helios »

We have tested your two problems using the syntax file indicated on a Windows 7 32 bit system, and cannot reproduce the behaviour you describe. Also tested with java and c, with the same result.

Please will you send us a file of your settings to "support@textpad.com", created as follows:

1) Exit from TextPad.
2) Type REGEDIT.EXE using Search programs and files on the Start menu.
3) Select the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Helios\TextPad 5.
4) From the Registry menu, choose the Export command
5) Export the selected key to a file.

Please zip the file before sending.

Please also send a copy of the file config.xml
In windows 7 it is stored here:

C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Helios\TextPad\5.0.

Thanks.
Helios Software Solutions
kranu

Post by kranu »

I've sent the two files via email. Please let me know what the problem is as soon as possible.
kranu

Post by kranu »

Hey has anybody figured out what the problem is yet :?:
woho

Post by woho »

no but the string thing (no word wrap after ')is reproduced here as well with
WinXP SP3
http://www.textpad.com/add-ons/files/sy ... _r12.1.zip

woho