Open a file selection in same window

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Aneesh

Open a file selection in same window

Post by Aneesh »

Hi,

I am trying to setup a tool to browse a file - the file has other file names in another directory. Based on the selection, i want to open the file in textpad in the same instance.

I am using a tool with program textpad, parameter as -s $Sel and an initial folder to search for the file.

The problem is that the new file is opening up in another instance in textpad - can I open up the file in the same instance of textpad?

Thanks,
Aneesh.
woho

Post by woho »

Hi Aneesh. Not 100% sure if I understand you correctly, but some suggestions.
1) You can use file:/D:/MyOtherPath/MyFile.txt (if there are blanks in the path replace them with %20) => then you find a new option in the context menu (right click) to open that
- also works for directories and other filetypes
- also works with http:// instead of file:/
note: slashes instead of backslashes

Following macro which I can use after I've inserted a path in a text file I've recorded:
- start recorder
- type file:/
- select until end of line (Ctrl-Shift-End)
- replace all / with \ (RegExp MUST not be checked !)
- replace all blanks with %20
- stop recorder
- name macro
- find it in the macro menu and use it

note: useful to get a path: open file in TextPad/Context Menu/Property: path is selected => just copy

2) Textpad Preferences: uncheck Allow Multiple Instances (or so - my Textpad help is German)
You always can open a new instance starting textpad with the -m option (which I use as default in my windows shortcut for textpad)

3)search for DDEOPN32 in the TextPad help