How do I add a hypertext link

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

redbourn

How do I add a hypertext link

Post by redbourn »

Hi,

I'm obviously new to textpad and am running the trial.

I used metapad until now.

I wanted to add an HTML link to some text today but couldn't see how to do it.

So, how's it done?

Thanks,

Michael
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but hopefully one of the following points will answer your question:

1. You can't make an arbitrary piece of text into a hypertext link (like this) in a plain text document.

2. If syntax highlighting is enabled, TextPad will highlight URLs in the document (usually in blue). You can open the URL following the steps in the help topic How To > Work with Files > Open a File or URL Named in a Document.

3. If you want to create a hyperlink in an HTML document, enter: <a href="URL">link text</a>
redbourn

Post by redbourn »

ak47wong wrote:I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but hopefully one of the following points will answer your question:

1. You can't make an arbitrary piece of text into a hypertext link (like this) in a plain text document.

2. If syntax highlighting is enabled, TextPad will highlight URLs in the document (usually in blue). You can open the URL following the steps in the help topic How To > Work with Files > Open a File or URL Named in a Document.

3. If you want to create a hyperlink in an HTML document, enter: <a href="URL">link text</a>
Thanks for the reply.

#1 is what I'd hoped to do.

I'd hoped that there was some kind of "override" in TextPad that would enable me to do it since it's possible to save in html format.

Michael
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

Whether or not it's highlighted, if you right-click on it (or use the menu key, if you have one) you can Open whereveritis.com.

Or, if you assign a shortcut to File | FileGoTo (I use <Ctrl+Shift+G>), you can select it and type the shortcut.