Creating a new dictionary

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

LukasP

Creating a new dictionary

Post by LukasP »

Hello,

I'd like to create a new dictionary, for Czech.

Actually, I'd like to convert an existing db of words in another format which TextPad would "understand".

Are there any tips how to create a dictionary?

File formats like U471.LEX or ssceam.tlx or ssceam2.clx are Greek to me - their format is unknown to me and also I don't know to to get (or get converted) them.

The basic idea is to convert a db of words somehow; db = one valid word per line.

Any help how to create a custom dictionary?

Thanks in advance.

LukasP
LukasP

Post by LukasP »

Hello,

I managed to create a Czech.tlx (I followed the Help instructions).

Unfortunately, the dict has about 9 MB ("normal" TP dicts have cca 400 kB). This is due to the Czech word have various extensions (e.g. "otec", "otce", "otcovi", "otcovy", "otcův" etc.) - and all these forms may be correct.

The problem is that having the spelling installed - when I run the spell check first time in TP (by F7) - teh TP gets "frozen", or better it takes several tens of minutes to give any response and to perform spell checking.

It seems to me that this time TP is processing the related .tlx files to get an [internal] database of words.

Is it possible to speed up this process somehow? - E.g. so that TP to remember the (compiled?) dictionary(ies) between runs?

Would it help to convert the .tlx to .clx?

If so, how to do it?

Thanks in advace.

LukasP