Disk full message

Known problems and workarounds

Moderators: helios, bbadmin

thadude

Post by thadude »

I also think this is a bug.

When I double click the file I get this disk full error. However if I use the shortcut menu and select textpad the file is opened fine.
naugiedoggie

"Disk Full" environmental issues

Post by naugiedoggie »

Hello,

For a long time (years) this situation has existed: if you right-click a large text file and select "TextPad" on the context menu, you can open just about any huge file. I routinely open files up to 1.5 GB this way. However, if you open TP itself, and then select that same file to open through the File menu option (or toolbar button), you will get a "disk full" error message. Others have noted this, also.

Clearly, the "contiguous pagefile" solution is inadequate to explain this circumstance. It's the same pagefile in both instances, which can occur seconds apart. There has to be something in the interaction between TP and its environment that causes this circumstance to occur.

It's not a showstopper, but it is sometimes a significant annoyance.

I've been using TextPad for years. IMO, it's one of the best-performing text editors on the market, esp. with large files. Competitors like UltraEdit just don't have the responsiveness that TP has. It would be nice if this little "feature" could be fixed, too.

Thanks.

mp
Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have. -- Hebrews 13:16a
bvaandr

disk full on associated files with v5.2 32 bit

Post by bvaandr »

Windows XP - 32 bit: When file types are unassociated (e.g. .txt) then a large 750 MB text file will open from within TextPad or with the "open with" item in the contextual menu (right click on file in explorer). When the file is associated with TextPad in the XP Folder Options control panel File types tab (and also with the Associated File configuration setting within TextPad), then attempting to open the file from within Textpad or with "open with" results in a disk full message. Right clicking on the file icon and using the contextual memory item "TextPad" will then still open the file - this is then the only way to open the file. Unassociating the files from TextPad will once more allow the file to be opened from within TextPad normally or using the "open with" item in the conrtextual menu. There is 4GB of ram on my machine - 2.8 of which is available, and a Diskeeper defragmented VM swap file allocation of up to 8 GB has been tried - VM is not the problem.
Bas V
andy.hingston

Post by andy.hingston »

We are experiencing the same error when attempting to open 1gb file. The workstations have 16Gb RAM and 90Gb free space on the local drive.

I have upgraded to the latest version and still get the same error.

Are there any plan's to fix this problem?
OITS_ISSB

Post by OITS_ISSB »

We are still getting this error message with the latest version (5.4).

I would greatly appreciate an update on this issue because opening large files was one of the justifications I gave for purchasing licenses for our organization. Currently we are forced to use Jujuedit to open large files and I would like to have an answer for my superiors if this ever comes to light. Thank you.
ThompsonM

Disk full while accessing message

Post by ThompsonM »

I'm getting the Disk full while accessing ... message from textpad when I try to open a .log file that is > 2GB.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,