LINUX Install (TextPad 4.7.3 + Wine 20040213)

Instructional HowTos, posted by users. No questions here please.

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

blakethompson

LINUX Install (TextPad 4.7.3 + Wine 20040213)

Post by blakethompson »

First of all, let me start by echoing everyone's comments regarding TP being the most fantastic editor there is. I use it at work under WinXP, home on Win98se and Mandrake 10.0 Official) and absolutely could not live without it.

To that end, I have been frustrated by the lack of native Linux support. No knock to Vim, JEdit, NEdit, Kate, etc users out there, but TP just has a certain something that works very well for me (Keybindings?, functions? -- not sure) and I rate it much higher than those for my personal use.

Recently I bought a new machine (P4 2.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM, MSI Motherboard) and installed a stock Mandrake 10.0 Community install (from CD but with security, bugfix and update patches automatically installed). I urpmi'd wine (the 20040213 build) and then downloaded the txpen473.exe installation.

After several failed attempts at just running the .exe file (in both terminal and by double-click) I did the following to get a working install (I hope these work for you):
  • Attempted several times to execute install, all failing.
    Created the following directory: /var/lib/wine/Program Files/TextPad 4
    Chmod ro 777 the above directory.
    Copied the contents of the C:\Program Files\TextPad 4 directory from my Windows 98se TP 4.7.3 machine (existing install) to /var/lib/wine/Program Files/TextPad 4
    From terminal, cd to TP insatll directory above and type `wine TextPad.exe`
I realize that this is far from a native Linux release and that I have mostly cheated by circumventing the install and copying the files over, but given the amount of noise regarding a Linux version and lack of these types of instructions, I felt it appropriate to post them here.

Enjoy.

Blake
flinker

Post by flinker »

Things are easier now.

I'm on Ubuntu 9.10 and using Wine 1.2. I was able to install cleanly and run TP 5.21.
Cloink

Post by Cloink »

Hmm, well, yes, you can get it up and running, but see my comments in this thread -
http://forums.textpad.com/viewtopic.php?t=10514
flinker

Post by flinker »

Cloink wrote:Hmm, well, yes, you can get it up and running, but see my comments in this thread -
http://forums.textpad.com/viewtopic.php?t=10514
I can honestly say that I've never had that happen. TextPad always exits cleanly for me.
Cloink

Post by Cloink »

Do you do anything 'fancy' or do you just use it in a fairly basic mode?

As I mentioned in the other thread, I have imported over registry settings, macros and the like. I guess it something of the 'fancier' nature that causes the problem. Btw, the Wine website also notes the problem, though that says it only happens if you try changing prefs - which I haven't.

I have noticed that other minor things don't work correctly either. For example, the horiz. scroll bar doesn't slide over when you click/drag or click to the right of it.

It does save my workspace before crashing though.