bug report: line numbers disappearing in v5.3.1

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

neimad

bug report: line numbers disappearing in v5.3.1

Post by neimad »

I upgraded recently to Textpad 5.3.1, on a Windows 7 x64 ultimate system (have been using Textpad every day for many years).

Line numbers are disappearing from files that I've been editing.

I haven't found a pattern to when or why this is happening.

My typical workflow is to load about 30 javascript files into Textpad at the start of my day. I have checked all the files loaded into Textpad and they all have line numbers after being loaded. As I am working, eventually I will switch to a file and the line numbers will be gone. Line numbers are still present on the other files loaded in Textpad.

I tried going to the preferences and switched line numbers off, then apply, then switch line numbers back on and apply, but the line numbers do not come back on the file that they had disappeared from.

I have to close the file and re-open it in Textpad to get line numbers to work again on the file that line numbers had disappeared from.
neimad

Found the bug

Post by neimad »

I noticed today that when I split the textpad file vertically or horizontally using the little gadget above the 'up' scroll arrow or the 'left' scroll arrow on the textpad window, that the line numbers disappear.

If I un-split the window for the text file i'm editing, the line numbers reappear.

This behavior happens consistently, every time. I hope it isn't a "feature".
neimad

further testing..

Post by neimad »

I installed Textpad 5.3.1 on a virtual machine running WinXP Pro, and the line number issue does not seem to occur there.

So, it seems to be another Win7 related bug.

The more I use win7, the less I like it. :(
matthew

Line Number Bug - Vista and Windows 7

Post by matthew »

+1 with this problem. On Vista and Win 7. I've been using Textpad for 5+ years (paid user) and just upgraded to Win 7. This is the first time I've needed to look up something on these forums as generally a brilliant editor.

Here is a summary of the bug:

[1] Line numbers display fine in non-split windows.
[2] If you have multiple documents open, then any that you horizontally split lose their line numbers. Remove the horizontal split and they come back.

Workaround:
[a] If you select "Document Tabs" from the View menu (ie display the tabs for each document) the line numbers are displayed for split windows. If you hide the tabs, then the the line numbers vanish again.

This is not so good for me, as I have moved to a widescreen laptop so need all the vertical space (and have recently changed from Tab view to a Vertical Document Selector) but have lost my line numbers.

Cheers,
Matt
neimad

Post by neimad »

Thank you for the fix Matthew. It might help me, but I typically have a large number of text files open at the same time, so the decreased screen size hurts even with two monitors stacked vertically. I usually split a text file in the middle and display one half on the top monitor and the other half on the bottom monitor.. and not having line numbers has been annoying.