auto-save files that haven't yet been manually saved

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Ken

auto-save files that haven't yet been manually saved

Post by Ken »

My computer spontaneously rebooted last night and I lost three files that I'd created and had not yet saved. I'm using TextPad 4.7.3.

I'd like to suggest that some way is added to automatically save files that have not yet been saved by the end-user. I'm aware of the auto-save feature, but I don't want to to turn this on as I'm ASSUMING that it will continuously save (and, thus, overwrite) all open files (even those I've already saved), which is a behavior I do not want.
Ken

Post by Ken »

After reading several other posts (including these:
http://forums.textpad.com/viewtopic.php ... ght=backup
http://forums.textpad.com/viewtopic.php ... ght=backup
http://forums.textpad.com/viewtopic.php ... ght=backup),
perhaps the proper way to address my issue along with several other people's issues, would be if there was a different type of auto-save available that would save copies of everything currently open to temporary files (rather than overwriting the existing saved files) that could be restored in the event of a TextPad (/OperatingSystem) crash, and would be removed whenever a manual save (by the end-user) is performed (since the temporary file is no longer needed at this point; at least until auto-save saves the next temporary file).
meirual

automatically saving new documents

Post by meirual »

I totally agree with this suggestion to use temporary filenames. The "automatically save" option is extremely annoying for me as it is, since I tend to jot notes in new documents that I'm not sure I want to keep yet.

This might force me to look for a new text editor.
kc311man

Post by kc311man »

This is something I have always longed for in TextPad. I keep TextPad open all day every day in my secondary monitor. If I get a phone call, I open new document and start taking notes. If I am trying to debug an issue, I open a new document to copy and paste in code snippets, output, notes etc. I also use TextPad as my Java editor. Very rarely do I take the time to go through and save every one of the new documents I have created because nine times out of ten, I don't need to actually keep the notes I have made. So, when Windows decides to be super awesome and crash, I usually loose everything. Then I get to play the "I wonder if I had anything I actually needed" game. It's a really fun game. I tried the built in Auto-Save functionality but that just makes you actually save every new document. It's way more of a hindrance than help.

So, why can't TextPad let me specify a temporary directory and then automatically assign a temporary name and save my unsaved documents. So, TextPad dies. Next time it launches, it checks that directory and if it finds something, it asks if I want to load files it found there that may have been unsaved. No? Send them to the recycle bin. Yes? Load them all.

/rant