5.3 differences

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

tshad

5.3 differences

Post by tshad »

I am using 4.7.3 and have for a long time.

I am curious about what I would get if I upgrade to the newer version and how stable is it?

Also, one thing that would be nice is being able to put my cursor before a bracket and have it automatically show you the matching bracket without having to use the menu to do this. Similar to the way Visual Studio does it.

Is there a way to show the matching bracket without actually jumping to it?

This is not necessary but a nice touch.

Thanks,

Tom
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

Hi Tom,

You should read the release notes to see what's changed in all the newer releases.

Almost all the enhancements are to do with the user interface (dockable/tabbed windows, etc.) Incremental search was added recently. To be honest, not a lot else has changed. I keep up with the latest version, but you can stick with 4.7.3 and not miss out on much. Quite a few regulars here still use it, including Bob Hansen I believe.

The new version does not do automatic highlighting of matching brackets, but you can vote for it in a poll, if it makes any difference :)

Andrew
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

For the record, Yes, I still use 4.7.3 for my workhorse. :twisted:
I am surprised that ak47wong remembered that. :shock:

I have experimented with the 5.x versions, saw no reason to upgrade, and didn't want the "minor" changes that have bothered some others. I don't think that I am missing any new features that were really important to me. But if I had never worked with 4.7.3, I would probably be very happy with using 5.x. When a new version comes out with Macro Editor, then I will be highly motivated to upgrade, so I can still keep hoping.

As you know, we all have different work environments, and your results may vary.....
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob