Switching thru files using keyboard only

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

laserwolf

Switching thru files using keyboard only

Post by laserwolf »

hello,

i'm a long time textpad user (since 2000).

i switch between document only using my keyboard by using Ctrl-Tab (or Ctrl-Shift-tab for reverse order). I do not use the mouse.

i could've sworn that earlier versions would traverse the files in the order of the tabs on the top. the newer versions switch in the order that you last used the files.

i usually have 7 or 8 files open for coding. the new version of ctrl-tab makes it unusable in this case. because when you're switching often between that many files, you have no clue of the order.

i can't disable this "feature" using any of the options. maybe i'm wrong. can anyone please advise?
laserwolf

Post by laserwolf »

whoever thought of this "enhancement" needs to be shot.

can someone atleast point to me where i can download a version without this feature? that should'nt take much of your precious time. if there is anybody alive at textpad.com that is.
ACRobin

Post by ACRobin »

Yes, things seem to be a bit at a standstill and there have been some enhancements such as macros and Unicode support that should have been dealt with a long time ago - priorities I assume.

To your problem: a work around could be to use the "Document Selector".
Use F11 to bring the "Selector" up, and with it focused you can step through the files using the "up" and "down" arrows. CTRL+Tab gets you back to your selected document and F11 get you back to the "Selector".

I use "Microsoft" keystroke comparability.

I do not mind the way CTRL-TAB works now, but that is particular to what I am doing with the editor.

I am sure that some functionality has been lost from version 3 to the current - oh well, still damn fine for my needs.
laserwolf

Post by laserwolf »

Hi thanks a lot Robin! That works for me. I may miss being able to switch in 1 keystroke, but 2 ain't bad!

Cheers
Andrewr66

Focus

Post by Andrewr66 »

I'm having the same problem, but your solutions doesn't work for me. (Neither the Gun Method or F11)

F11 brings up the document selector, but it hasn't got Focus. I don't want to do mouseclicks here. Am I missing a setting?
helios

Post by helios »

You can assign a keyboard shortcut that will give the focus to the Document selector, and then use the up and down arrows to move through the files in sequence.

If you don't want the Document selector taking up valuable screen space, then use it in unpinned mode(small pin icon on the top right of the selector), so that it dissapears after you have selected the next file.

You can customize the keyboard shortcuts, as follows:

From the Configure menu choose:

1. Preferences.
2. Keyboard.
3. From the Categories list, select "View".
4. From the Commands list, select "ActivateSelector".
5. Enter the desired shortcut in the box provided.
At this stage, you will be notified if the shortcut you have chosen, has already been assigned to something else.
6. Click "Assign".
7. Click Apply.

I hope this helps.
Helios Software Solutions
Andrewr66

Thanks !

Post by Andrewr66 »

Yes, that helps a lot.
I'll start using that right away.

And such an incredibly fast response, too !