TextPad 5.3 is released

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

bbadmin
Site Admin

TextPad 5.3 is released

Post by bbadmin »

We're pleased to announce the release of TextPad 5.3.

The major enhancement is the Incremental Finder. This is implemented as a toolbar with an edit control and some buttons. As you type in the edit control, matching text is highlighted in the active document. Press F1 to display its online help.

The new Incremental Find command on the Search menu has been assigned the default keyboard shortcut of Ctrl+I. As this was previously assigned to the Increase Indent command, its shortcut has been changed to Ctrl+>. For consistency, the corresponding Decrease Indent command has had its shortcut changed from Ctrl+Shift+I to Ctrl+<. Note that these changes are only made if you have not customized your keyboard shortcuts.

You can download TextPad 5.3 from here. Please see the release notes, for details of other changes.

At present, only the English user interface is available.

As usual, there is no charge for existing customers to upgrade.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
Last edited by bbadmin on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

Good to see the new release, but now any macros with Increase/Decrease indent will no longer work. And since we still do not have Macro Editor, they must be totally recreated. I think that decision to change the keys was a wrong decision.

Hopefully, we will be able to still the User Defined keys to change them back to original values, but will need to be done on each installation. But this will still be easier than trying to recreate macros.

Suggest that future releases do not change defined keystrokes, hot keys, etc. until we also have a workable macro editor.

Thanks again for the release of 5.3. Reading the Release Notes is a MUST DO. It shows many corrections and some new changes. Well done!
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

The new release seems to work well. I haven't come across any major issues yet. Thanks for the upgrade, Helios!

Andrew
helios

Post by helios »

Bob,

Any previously recorded macros should still work, because it is the actual Command that is recorded, and not the keyboard shortcut.
Helios Software Solutions
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

Aha, that is good to know.

So, if different users have modified their keyboards, for any functions, then all macros are using the underlying command. That also means that all macros can be used on all systems, independent of customized keyboards.

My initial reaction to that information is COOL, nice feature! Because in the past, I have always checked out keyboard changes if using a macro on a system different from the one where it was recorded.

Thanks for that extra knowledge.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
kAlvaro

Localized versions

Post by kAlvaro »

Are localized versions definitively abandoned? The Spanish translation for TextPad 4 was pretty outstanding. But I guess there's no real market...
SimonText

x64 Support!!

Post by SimonText »

Much thought I welcome the new *cool* seacrh feature and bug fixes, it is still missing the ability to work 100% on x64 machines.

For example if I right click on a file in c:\windows\system32\a.txt then Textpad looks in c:\windows\sysWow64 for a.txt which it can't find!!

I am supposing this is due to TextPad being a x32 application.

Are there any plans to release a native x64 version of Textpad to allow it to access these files?
smjg

Post by smjg »

Nice try. Now tell us when we're going to have a TextPad that supports Unicode.

Incidentally, not even the bug I reported in October 2008 that adds insult to this injury has been fixed.