Getting around file size

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

rslotpole

Getting around file size

Post by rslotpole »

I have a 1.4 gig file that is too large for textpad. Is there a way to read or get the first n records of the file?

positioning the cursor on line 50 column 20 doesn't help as I can't read the entire file.
helios

Post by helios »

I'm sorry, but it isn't possible to read the first n records of a file

The theoretical limit for the size of file that can be opened in TextPad, is 2.1 gigabytes, and then only if that amount of contiguous virtual memory is available.

It may be necessary to defragment the hard drive. Please see the following URL, for further information.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysint ... efrag.mspx

In order to maximize the amount of contiguous virtual memory, you should run the normal disk defragmenter before and after running page defrag for system files.

You could also try increasing the amount of available virtual memory as follows:

1. Settings
2. Control pane
3. System
4. Advanced
5. Performance / Settings
6. Performance Options / Advanced
7. Virtual Memory / Change

I hope this helps.
Helios Software Solutions
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

Depending on what you are trying to do, you might try getting head No, not that way. Head is a command line utility that would allow you to get the first N lines of text. Plenty of open implementations of unix utilities out there, google will be your friend.

split, another utility might also be of service---split the file into N pieces, edit the header piece and then concatenate the file back together.[/url]
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.