Formatting lost when cutting and paste

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

alzamabar

Formatting lost when cutting and paste

Post by alzamabar »

Hi, I'm running Textpad 4.7. I've got an HTML document which I'm editing. When I cut and paste some text, the pasted text contains additional blanks which I haven't added. This is quite annoying since I've to re-format the document each time, wasting a lot of time.

Is there a workaround to this?

Regards,

M.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Are you cutting and pasting from within TextPad or are you taking the content from another application?

You refer to <i>formatting</i> in your post - are you trying to copy formatted HTML from a browser window? If so, TextPad will only insert the plain text that has been copied and there may be some characters that it won't be able to display.

If you can provide more information on what you are copying the problem may be clearer.
Running TextPad 5.4 on Windows XP SP3 and on OS X 10.7 under VMWare or Crossover.
alzamabar

Post by alzamabar »

SteveH wrote:Are you cutting and pasting from within TextPad or are you taking the content from another application?

You refer to <i>formatting</i> in your post - are you trying to copy formatted HTML from a browser window? If so, TextPad will only insert the plain text that has been copied and there may be some characters that it won't be able to display.

If you can provide more information on what you are copying the problem may be clearer.
Thank you for your reply. I'm writing HTML from within Textpad. Let's say that I've got a paragraph which I want to copy and change slightly. I copy and paste it. When I paste it the text is shifted by some tabs.

Example:

Text before copying:

Code: Select all

<p>
  <ul>
    <li>One item here</li>
    <li>One item here</li>
    <li>One item here</li>
  </ul>
</p>
Text after pasting the above:

Code: Select all

<p>
                  <ul>
                    <li>One item here</li>
                    <li>One item here</li>
                    <li>One item here</li>
                  </ul>
</p>
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Check what setting you have for tab spaces within the application or document class.

It may be that the text you are copying includes tabs before the unordered list brackets and these are then spaced equivalent to 18 characters.

Turn on hidden text options to see whether the text is formatted with a mixture of tabs and spaces.

Hope this helps.
Running TextPad 5.4 on Windows XP SP3 and on OS X 10.7 under VMWare or Crossover.
alzamabar

Post by alzamabar »

Which settings should I expect?
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Have a look at the settings shown below for whatever document type you are currently using

But if turn on hidden text with the ¶ symbol in the tool bar you will be able to see if the strange spacing is due to a tab.
alzamabar

Post by alzamabar »

Found the "problem". I just selected text, then positioned the cursor where I wanted to paste and the problem occurred. However if I copy from the beginning of the line and I paste putting my cursor at the beginning of the line the paste goes fine. I guess there is no escape to this.

Thanks for your help.

M.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Check in your document class, the setting for
automatically indent blocks
and
maintain indentation