Issue opening lots of files at once

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

talleyrand

Issue opening lots of files at once

Post by talleyrand »

I suspect the defect is with the windows dialog and nothing TP has done but I wanted to seek confirmation. The Open File dialog menu allows you to select more than one file which I use on a great many occasions. If one is selecting, say 157 files, it will select them all fine but fail to actually open them nor does it indicate that the open operation failed.

Definitely not a common scenario and not one I'd spend much, if any, time on but I thought I'd log it here in case someone else runs across it.
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.
kdelacruz

Re: Issue opening lots of files at once

Post by kdelacruz »

I have this problem too, but I come across it quite a bit, since I often need to edit large numbers of files all at once.

I agree it may have to do with the windows open dialog, since if you select the files in Windows Explorer, then drag and drop them into the Textpad window, I've found they all open
helios

Post by helios »

There is a limit to the number of files you can open using the Open File dialog box in TextPad, and this is dependent on the lengths of the file paths. The longer the file paths, the fewer files can be opened at any one time. This is due to a limitation of the Microsoft dialog box.

In order to open a larger number of files, you could select them in Explorer, and then drag and drop them into TextPad, as you have already discovered. Otherwise, Ctrl+shift+O in TextPad will bring up the Quick open dialog box. Typing *.* will open all the files in this folder, with an option to open all those in the subfolders as well.
Helios Software Solutions
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

Oh wow, I didn't realize that is what Quick Open did. That's nifty. Thanks for the information on both that and the file open dialog.
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.