Can't record a macro

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

mikez302

Can't record a macro

Post by mikez302 »

I have TextPad 5.2.0 and I'm trying to record a macro. Normally I would do this by going to the Macro menu and selecting "Start recording", but I don't see that option. I only see "Stop recording". I thought that maybe I had picked the start command by accident, so I selected "Stop recording", and then opened the menu again, and it is still there. How can I get the "Start recording" command back?
helios

Post by helios »

Please try renaming the file config.xml, which you will find at the following location, and then try starting up TextPad. Exit from TextPad before renaming the file.

C:\Documents and Settings\User name\Application Data\Helios\TextPad\5.0

I hope this helps.
Helios Software Solutions
mikez302

Post by mikez302 »

It worked. Thank you.
mikez302

Post by mikez302 »

I am trying to record another macro, and I am having the same problem. I can try to exit TextPad and rename the same file again, but it is tiresome to do that every time I want to record a macro. What is causing this behavior? Is there any way I can avoid it?
helios

Post by helios »

I can reproduce this behaviour if I start to record a macro, and then exit from TextPad without stopping the recording. Could this be the reason?
mikez302

Post by mikez302 »

I don't think so, but to be sure, I will pay closer attention when I quit TextPad. I'll let you know if I notice anything specific that triggers this behavior.
pblanton

The macro system still works normally...

Post by pblanton »

The macro system still works normally. the label on the menu itsm is just wrong half the time. When you first pop up the macro menu, the item says, "Stop Recording" but if you click on it, you will be recording.

When you go to stop recording, the menu label is right. ie, it still says "Stop Recording" .

This is a very confusing bug that hopefully will be addressed by the next version, but it doesn't adversely impact functionality.
Phillip H. Blanton
Radwarrior.com
helios

Post by helios »

Have you tried renaming the config.xml file, as previously described above?
pblanton

Macro menu

Post by pblanton »

No, but I edited it and changed "Stop Recording" to "Record" and it works right now. I was just telling the earlier poster that he didn't actually need to delete the config file, because the functionality wasn't impacted by the incorrect menu string.

For what it's worth, here is my edit to the config file. The magic part is Caption="Record"...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<GUI CompactMode="1">
<NormalLayout>
<CommandBars>
<CommandBars>

... snip ...

<CommandBar Class="CXTPPopupBar" Type="2" Position="5" BarID="16777231" Style="4194304" Title="Macros">
<Controls>
<Control Class="CGUICmdMenu" Id="33104" Caption="Record" ShortcutText="Ctrl+Shift+R" TooltipText="Record or stop recording a keystroke macro" DescriptionText="Record or stop recording a keystroke macro"/>

... snip ...

</Controls>
</CommandBar>

... snip ...

</CommandBars>
</CommandBars>
</NormalLayout>
</GUI>
Phillip H. Blanton
Radwarrior.com
shaqmeister

Re: Macro menu

Post by shaqmeister »

pblanton wrote:No, but I edited it and changed "Stop Recording" to "Record" and it works right now.
To just add to this thread, I have encountered the same issue, and the behaviour IS related to closing TextPad whilst recording, as suggested by Helios above. Consequently, even with the .config renaming that you suggest here, this will also be lost in just the same way if you do the same again and close while recording.

I guess what is needed - since obviously the macro recording is stopped when the program is closed - is for the config write to disk on closing to always write back the 'start' state, rather than writing back the 'current' state. Writing back a state that indicates the recorder is recording when it won't be the next time TextPad loads is a logic error in the config routines leading to a potentially inconsistent start up, as in this instance. A bug, really.