Document Selector

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Dalberon

Document Selector

Post by Dalberon »

I work on very large projects and often have over 100 files in a workspace. What I would like to see is more features on the document selector.
  • 1. Sort by file type.
    2. Filter by file type.
    3. Have an assignable root directory and only show path from that root to the file
    4. Filter by folder
    5. Toggle folders open and close
I would just love it if I could just have the option 3. Then I would see things like

Code: Select all

_css/global.css
_css/MainMenu.css
_includes/functions.php
index.php
Also you guys should charge an upgrade fee as you come out with new versions! I purchased my copy over a decade ago and have used TextPad literally thousands of hours.
javaguy

Post by javaguy »

do you mean the explorer?
if so, i emphatically second suggestion #3!
the first time i used the explorer the FIRST thing i did was try
to right click on a folder node to set it as the root node.
rjw

Document selector - trim common path root

Post by rjw »

#1, 2, 4, and 5 would be nice... But I would **love** #3 to be implemented in some way. I work on websites with TextPad, and the file paths are often rather long, like

c:\websites\2008\clientname\home\www\html\index.html

(When working with Drupal, the paths are often much longer.) Then within the root directory, there are numerous .html, .css, and .js files, organized into subdirectories. And many of the files have the same name (especially, index.html). Using the filename only option is not practical; but showing full paths takes up 40% of my screen.

So it would be great to have some intermediate between "show full paths" and "show only filename", where the common path root is broken off (placed into the document selector title bar, instead of "Document Selector"?), and only the unique part of the path is shown.

A side note: sorting is also important. I'd like to see an option where files in a directory are kept together, and not interspersed alphabetically with subdirectories. Currently, you see something like this:

contact.html
css\styles.css
index.html
js\scripts.js
research.html

whereas it would be easier for me to find files in the document selector if they were sorted more like this:

contact.html
index.html
research.html
css\styles.css
js\scripts.js

It's probably not so obvious with just five files, but when you have dozens of files and subdirectories, it makes a difference.

bob