Opening Files with Spaces in Filename or Folder

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

sskaggs

Opening Files with Spaces in Filename or Folder

Post by sskaggs »

Using TP 5.2, I am having a problem opening files using a double-click if the filename or folder contains spaces. When doing so, I see a series of error messages "OK to create" followed by a folder name and a portion of the filename I am trying to open. If TP is already open, no such error messages are shown. This seems to be very repeatable, and the space in the file or folder name is the only thing I can find that these files have in common. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and do you have a workaround?
Steve Skaggs
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Configure - Preferences - General - Allow Multiple files on command line
sskaggs

It's working ... sort of

Post by sskaggs »

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried that option both ways, and they each have their set of problems.

With the option turned on, double-clicking a file with spaces in the name or folder gives the error I described originally.

With the option turned off, when multiple files are clicked, and you choose "Open", everything seems to work. However, when using "Send To...TextPad", a different message occurs saying "Ok to create" followed by the name of all the files concatenated together. Also, with the option off, "Open With...TextPad" opens only one of the multiple selected files.
Steve Skaggs
sskaggs

It's working ... really this time

Post by sskaggs »

Just after I made the last post, I had a thought that this may have been caused by the file type association. I looked at the Edit and Open actions and found this:
"C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe" -s %1

I then tried changing it to this:
"C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe" -s "%1"

and now it seems that everything is working regardless of how I try to open the files or what is in the file or folder name, and regardless of the "Allow Multiple Files" setting. I'm not sure why this would be a problem starting with v5.2, but I never had this issue before this version.

At any rate, for any file types that I intend to use TP to open, this is a pretty simple change to avoid the constant hassle of the "Ok to create" messages.
Steve Skaggs
otto17

the same but different (re: double-click to open)

Post by otto17 »

Just installed TPv5.2 today (upgrading from v4.72) on an XP machine.
(side note - I selected to install in its own TP5 program folder and it deleted my TP4 folder anyway; now rebuilding all my file associations, syntax, etc).
Anyway, when I double-click on a file to open I receive a warning msg from windows ["Windows cannot find <path & filename>. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search"].
At the same time Windows opens Textpad with the text file I doubled-clicked and all is well.
If I select two text files and then right-click to Open, I do not get the popup warning msg and textpad opens both files as I would hope for.

I checked my 'Open' as suggested and %1 is already enclosed with quotemarks.

a la Ferris Buehler... "anyone...? anyone...?"
Last edited by otto17 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otto, Chicagoland
otto17

found a solution for my 'double-click to open' problem

Post by otto17 »

While continuing to play with the folder options/file types/advanced settings, I discovered that by unchecking the 'use DDE' option (for each association I created for Textpad) I have eliminated the Windows popup msg stating that it could not find the file that I just double-clicked on.

This was not a problem for me on Win2000 and 'use DDE' was selected and not a problem on WinXP until I upgraded from TP 4.72 to 5.2.

I have tried to understand the downside of doing this and I am apparently blissfully ignorant of the consequences (ie., not being able to communicate with other DDE applications); so I am going with this solution.
...30 minutes later... nothing crashed so far... good luck to you all
Otto, Chicagoland