"Enter Find Text" hotkey

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

hybom

"Enter Find Text" hotkey

Post by hybom »

Hi, great product, but I wish for a few more hotkeys. In particular I would love to have a command that grabs the selected text and copies it into the "Find" window for use by the "Find Next/Again" command (without showing the window, and without performing the search immediately).

Yes I know you have the "Find Next" command that searches for the currently selected text, but that does NOT do what I want. I just simply want a command that puts the selected text into the "Find" window. And also a "Find Next" command that ignores any selected text and just searches for what is in the "Find" window.

Following is a list of the hotkeys I would like. There is no need to have menu items for these, or even default hotkeys. I would be happy if I could just assign my own hotkeys to them in the settings window.

I use these hotkeys in other programs. I am in the habit of using them and it is VERY frustrating using TextPad without having these hotkeys, because I keep automatically hit them without thinking about it -- it is an automatic habit. To use TextPad seriously, I really need to be able to configure these hotkeys.

Ctrl-E = Enter Find Text. Copy selected text into the "Find" window (without showing the window).

Ctrl-Shift-E = Enter Replace Text.

Ctrl-L = Replace and Find Next.

Ctrl-Shift-L = Replace Selection.

Ctrl-G = Find Next/Again (ignoring any selected text).

Ctrl-Shift-G = Find Selected Text (command already exists).

Ctrl-F = Show the Find window (command already exists).
Dalberon

Re: "Enter Find Text" hotkey

Post by Dalberon »

hybom wrote:Hi, great product, but I wish for a few more hotkeys. In particular I would love to have a command that grabs the selected text and copies it into the "Find" window for use by the "Find Next/Again" command (without showing the window, and without performing the search immediately).

Yes I know you have the "Find Next" command that searches for the currently selected text, but that does NOT do what I want. I just simply want a command that puts the selected text into the "Find" window. And also a "Find Next" command that ignores any selected text and just searches for what is in the "Find" window.

Following is a list of the hotkeys I would like. There is no need to have menu items for these, or even default hotkeys. I would be happy if I could just assign my own hotkeys to them in the settings window.

I use these hotkeys in other programs. I am in the habit of using them and it is VERY frustrating using TextPad without having these hotkeys, because I keep automatically hit them without thinking about it -- it is an automatic habit. To use TextPad seriously, I really need to be able to configure these hotkeys.

Ctrl-E = Enter Find Text. Copy selected text into the "Find" window (without showing the window).

Ctrl-Shift-E = Enter Replace Text.

Ctrl-L = Replace and Find Next.

Ctrl-Shift-L = Replace Selection.

Ctrl-G = Find Next/Again (ignoring any selected text).

Ctrl-Shift-G = Find Selected Text (command already exists).

Ctrl-F = Show the Find window (command already exists).
Highlight the text you want to find and hit ctrl-f That will find the next occurance of what you have highlighted without opening the find window. If you then open the find window the value will be filled in.