TP 5.2: No 'maximise' document window after tiling?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

BryceS

TP 5.2: No 'maximise' document window after tiling?

Post by BryceS »

Hi,

Just upgraded to 5.2, as 5.1 didn't allow me to tile my documents.

I now have tiling but no easy way to un-tile them. In version 4 each document had it's little windows looking thingy with the maximise/minimise type buttons beside the close 'X'. How do I get those back? Or some other way to simply un-tile the windows?

Regards,
Bryce Stenberg.
pipinn

Post by pipinn »

That's exactly what I miss in 5.2!
Anything other works now in the same way TP 4.7.3 did - the reason why I now upgraded.
BryceS

Post by BryceS »

I thought I'd found a work-around. I configured my keyboard to have keyboard shortcut for WindowToogleZoom. I then used shortcut and got my document window back to full size (as though I'd clicked the document maximise button in 4.7.3). However, when I change to the next document my view flips back to tiles :cry:. Looks like I have to delete this workspace, as the tiling has been saved to it, and re-add the 50 odd files to a new workspace to get back to a usable screen again...

I'd recommend to anyone NOT to click a tiling button if you save your workspaces.

I only tend to turn on the tiling in a large workspace if I'm doing a FIND in all documents so that I can see the occurences in the various files - otherwise find in all documents is not much use as you can't see where the hits are.

I'll go add a request to the Enhancement Suggestions forum to get the maximise button back.

Regards, Bryce S.
helios

Post by helios »

If you tile the documents with Document tabs turned off, then you can maximize them with the usual maximize/minimize button.

When Document tabs are turned on, the maximize/minimize button isn't available, due to the way that tiling had to be implemented in this mode.
In order to maximize you will need to turn off the Document tabs.
You could create a keyboard shortcut or a toolbar icon for this purpose.
Helios Software Solutions
BryceS

Post by BryceS »

I just turned off my document tabs to check (you do mean the settings under configuration - view - tabbed document selector?). It makes no difference - there is still no way to restore the windows to normal from the tiled view. The usual 'maximise/minimise' buttons are NOT there.

While talking about tiling windows - why is the 'cascade windows' greyed out on the toolbar and unavailable from the menu?

Additionally, in textpad 4.x, when tiling and lots of files are open, the tiling action (either horizontal or vertical) would change to viewable small windows in a grid - under v5.2 it attempts to keep them all tiled as selected (ie. either all horizontal or vertical) which leaves no text viewable at all!! You can only see tab labels, scroll bars and close 'X's - not very useful really.

Are these known issues that may be fixed?

Regards,
Bryce Stenberg.
BryceS

Post by BryceS »

Woops :oops: - just found that I didn't get the tabbed documents turned off - was under view. (what I initially changed just moved them to bottom of screen and I didn't notice). So, yay! :D The minimize/maximise buttons are back. The tiling in a grid for multiple files is there. And cascading works. :D :D :D

Essentially ignore previous post - all works fine.

Many thanks.
Bryce Stenberg.