TextPad Crash!

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

SteveH

TextPad Crash!

Post by SteveH »

TexPad hanging up would be more accurate but in all the years I've used TextPad I don't think I've ever had a crash or hang.

I was running a search and replace on a very basic CSV file and nothing too clever in the search. When I tried to close the search and replace dialog I had the error message shown below.

Changing the search and replace options and clearing the search strings made no difference and I was unable to quit the application. I could only quit the application via the task manager. The file I was working on was located on a memory stick but I can not think why this would make any difference.

Any thoughts?
Running TextPad 5.4 on Windows XP SP3 and on OS X 10.7 under VMWare or Crossover.
Nicholas Jordan

memory stick

Post by Nicholas Jordan »

Yes, I just had ctrl-f5 find the search term ( WordCount ) in the workspace.tws , along with *numerous* classpath problems that I did not have until I started using thumb-drives for a disposable, wipe and re-build the whole project scratch area. In fact I came here to post that in the improvements, but I have unbelievably fast responses and I know for a fact what is happening is that the traffic has to go through something that reamaps the path and looks like a control panel applet from what I could see of it. It had the same text as the mount/dismount icon in the tray:"Removable media"

We are not alone, the others are afraid to report.
kitimat

TextPad Crash

Post by kitimat »

I could not duplicate the error you are getting as I don't get any error message.

I am using xp sp2 textpad 5.1.

What kind of memory stick where you using? Did it have U3 on it? I don't have one of those to test with.

Do you have admin rights on the p.c? They have security cranked up real tight on memory sticks here and that causes some odd things to happen.

I notice in the screen dump that the regular expressions check box is not ticked. Was that an oversight? To get one data field per line I had to tick the regular expressions box but that may not be what you were trying to do. Even so it still doesn't expain the error message!

kitimat
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I've tried running similar searches from my memory stick but this doesn't seem repeatable. The only reason that the regex is unticked is that I was playing around to see what parameter might have been causing the problem.

I'm not too worried about this as it has been so rare to have problems with TP. I was curious to see if other users had similar problems.

Thanks.
Running TextPad 5.4 on Windows XP SP3 and on OS X 10.7 under VMWare or Crossover.