Opinions on 5.1?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Drxenos

Opinions on 5.1?

Post by Drxenos »

OK, I have been wanting with bated breath to hear what people think of the new release, but alas, no posts. So, I'll ask: what do you think?
Alan-LB

Post by Alan-LB »

I have been programming for over 45 years now and have used many text editors for many different reasons but mainly for writing code.

One of my favourites was the Semware editor which was originally known as qedit (or Quick Edit). This was an excellent editor for producing source code under DOS.

In Linux I never really liked vi or emacs - probably because of my DOS background.

I have used jEdit for producing Java code for a while. I discovered TextPad a couple of weeks ago and am still exploring it. In my opinion, for what it is worth, it is the best editor I have found for general text files, for Java code and HTML. I like the way that I can compile and execute Java from within the editor. There are many facilities in the editor that makes it the most useful editor I have found.

I would like the Incremental Search facility - maybe there is one and I haven't found it.

Congratulations to all who have produced and support TextPad!! Thanks also for the support from this forum.

Hope this helps.

Alan
RobW

Re: Opinions on 5.1?

Post by RobW »

Drxenos wrote:OK, I have been wanting with bated breath to hear what people think of the new release, but alas, no posts. So, I'll ask: what do you think?

I am generally a fan of new software and I've been a textpad user since v 3.x.

I generally like the new UI - seems cleaner. I like the output/results boxes at the bottom. Makes more clear the last action - like a dif operation - I no longer attempt to edit my results :-).

Something I liked in Textpad 4.x, and appears missing in Textpad 5:
-the over\under document selector clip library configuration. I did use the clip library heavily (several custom libraries for my use) and did use the document selector. I dont see in 5.1 how to have both open at the same time. (can you?). Im still playing with the auto-hide option, but generally dont like animation when I am working, particularly if I am wanting to frequently reference what is in the list. Any chance of getting this as a configuration option?

Rob
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Switch on ClipLib and DocumentSelector.

Click on the tab of the document selector and hold the mouse pressed. Move the mouse upwards. Some crosslike semitransparent thing appears. Move the mouse onto the top of the cross. Now release the mouse button.

(it's hard to describe, just try it out - if there is no tab for it, click on the title bar and move it)
Nicholas Jordan

trepidation nation is waiting with bated breath, wanting to

Post by Nicholas Jordan »

(wanting to know if it works) (currently running 5.0.3)

"$FileDir/$filename"in tools/external tools/run java applicaton/parameters on the drop-down cascading menu results in:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: C:\belvedere\util/Formatter/java
Press any key to continue . . .

JellyBabies says %CLASSPATH% ==

Code: Select all

C:\belvedere\class;"C:\Program Files\SDM20\jsdk2.1";"C:\Program Files\SDM20\jce";"C:\Program Files\SDM20\javax\servlet\jsp\jstl";C:\stringsearch-1.2;C:\WTK2.5.2\bin;C:\test
I have got about fifteen browser windows open, four or five phd's pissed off and several supra-national grade discussion windows open. I cannot flip off one of the posters until I get the program to run. If you tell me upgrading to txpeng510.exe/14.0.0.162/62562 will allow me to stay ahead of tabbie the cat in a house of mirrors, then I will probably run the installer out of fear.

I will be happy to give some feedback if it keeps me ahead of Tabby The Cat (s kill)
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

I understood the words in that, but not the sentences.
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

I didn't even understand the words. :D
Drxenos

Post by Drxenos »

Good, I thought it was just me who couldn't understand him!
Nicholas Jordan

sentence comprehension

Post by Nicholas Jordan »

Expanding everything makes large posts, reduce it to: I am having problems with classpath issue in Java, tried using TextPad Tools as one of several approaches. C:\belvedere\util/Formatter/java seems to have inserted a path separator so if this is a TextPad issue and not a Java issue, I will load 5.1 but I am fearful to fiddle.

HTH - glad to answer further stargazing, I posted here instead of Java because my concern has to do with TextPad in general at this point rather than Java.