Optional alert when you quit with multiple documents open...

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

turnstyle

Optional alert when you quit with multiple documents open...

Post by turnstyle »

Hi all,
With some regularity I accidentally close TextPad when I have a bunch of documents open (it's usually because I space out, and think I'm just closing the active document).

I think it could be helpful if you added a "confirm quit when multiple documents open" option -- perhaps others here would find that useful too?

Thanks! -Scott
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

Use a workspace. Then, if you close it by mistake, all you have to do is open it again, and all will be exactly as you left it.
turnstyle

Post by turnstyle »

Don't you lose the undo/redo history when you close a doc?

ie, such an "You have multiple documents open, are you sure you want to close them all" alert would apply to Workspaces too, no?
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

Yes, that's true. When you close a workspace you lose the undo history.
turnstyle

Post by turnstyle »

Right -- do others here not do the same thing? ie, space out and think that you're closing just one document when you close a whole bunch -- and potentially lose all the undo states?

(perhaps I'm the only goof who does it -- but it's like how tabbed browsers warn you if you're about to close a window with multiple tabs -- I think that same warning would be useful fromTexPad)

-Scott
qkz73

well..

Post by qkz73 »

Yes, I've done it before. But, like someone already said, I always use workspaces. To protect against losing rack of what I have open. I'll actually save the workspace if I think I'm doing something that will crash my computer or whatever. (Yes, some of my code has been known to do that, especially with potentially faulty graphics drivers.)
- QKZ -
turnstyle

Post by turnstyle »

Per my previous post, this isn't about re-opening the same set of documents -- it's about losing all the undo/redo states for each of those documnets.

I sometimes close TextPad when I only meant to close a single document, and I gather I'm at least not the only one. If you're working on a bunch of files at the same time, then you likely care about the undo/redo state of those files.

So, yes, I can use a Workspace to re-open a batch of files, but the problem is that all the undo/redo state is lost.

Just like tabbed browser offer an optional reminder when you're about to close mutiple tabs, I think it would be helpful for TextPad to offer an optional reminder when you're about to close mutiple tabs.

-Scott