Is this XP shortcut possible

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Dick7

Is this XP shortcut possible

Post by Dick7 »

I'd like to make an XP shortcut that would not only call Textpad, but also open 5 .txt files within it.

Thanks
Dick
gan

Post by gan »

If you create a textfile with a list of the files you want to open (one file on each line) including the path to those files then you create a shortcut for textpad.exe and add the parameters "@filename" where filename is the file that contains the list then all of the textfiles will be opened when starting textpad using that shortcut. For example "c:\program files\textpad 5\textpad.exe @filelist.txt" and the filelist.txt is a textfile that contains a list of files including the path to those files. You can also use wildcards so "textpad.exe c:\temp\test*.txt" will open all the files where the name start with test and have the ext. .txt from the temp folder.

Check out the help from within textpad and search for "command line parameters" then you should find all the supported parameter and how to use them. Using help might give you the answer to a lot of questions since most is described there.
Dick7

Post by Dick7 »

Thanks for your detailed explanation. Just to make sure I got it right, please take a look at http://www.rcblue.com/Misc/TextPad_Prop ... ortcut.png. Is where I've put @filename.txt correct?
(the Target box line is "C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe" @filename.txt )
And is the Target box what you mean by the Command Line?
Dick
gan

Post by gan »

Yes that seems to be correct and by command line i mean the "target" field when creating a shortcut. In your example you would create a list of the files you want to open in the file "filename.txt".

For example the filename.txt could be like this:

c:\test.txt
c:\temp\test2.txt

So you specify the file including the path for each file you want to open with textpad when you use the shortcut. You cannot use wildcards in the filename.txt for the files you want to open. If filename.txt is stored in a directory that is not the same as textpad.exe you have to specify the path for this file as well. For example @c:\temp\filename.txt.
Dick7

Post by Dick7 »

Thanks. Got it working well now.
Dick