TextPad 5.03 license upgrade fails

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

caddzooks

TextPad 5.03 license upgrade fails

Post by caddzooks »

I own a licensed copy of TextPad 4.73, and installed TextPad 5.0.3.

The installer removed the existing 4.73 installation, and installed version 5.03 (I specified a different install folder).

I now have no licensed installation of TextPad 4.73, and an evaluation version of 5.0.3. It did not recognize my existing license info even though it is still there in the registry in the Helios/TextPad 4 hive.

Ironically, copying the License registry key from the 4.73 to 5.0.3 branch resolved the problem, but it should not have happened to start with
CaptainWho

Post by CaptainWho »

I had exactly the same issue, except that doing the regular "Help | Update License" accepted the same code as from my 4.x version.

I've got to say, though, I find it absolutely unacceptable that the 5.0 installer silently removed my 4.7 installation even though I specified a different directory for 5.0 that 4.7 was in.

I've been a registered TextPad user for a long time, but that behavior makes me think I won't be using it again.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Same problem here. I just visited textpad.com and found out a new version was released. DL:ed, installed, in hope of checking it out before actually migrating to it, and it silently uninstalled my textpad 4 and the license has disappeared.

This is *extremely* annoying!!!!

The new version is very buggy, many checkboxes (options, menus) don't seem to be synch:ed with the actual workings. Now I've to reinstall v4 and dig up my old license.

I think it's nice they don't charge for the upgrade, but my first expirience with the new version was very negative. If you use TextPad 4 at work on a daily basis I suggest avoid upgrading until all the problems have been sorted out.

Cheers,

/everyday
CaptainWho

Post by CaptainWho »

I'm terribly unimpressed that no one from Helios has bothered to respond to this thread in two and a half months. From that I can only surmise that Helios finds it quite acceptable for their installer to do whatever it wants to my machine, regardless of what I told it to do. I, on the other hand, find it quite unacceptable. Maybe vi or emacs really is the answer.
deebeezy

Post by deebeezy »

This appears to be the same problem here: http://forums.textpad.com/viewtopic.php?p=29441#29441

Check to see if you have a license key in HKU\.DEFAULT before you delete your HKCU key.
SutharsanJIsles

Post by SutharsanJIsles »

Hey folks, this does not just happen with licenced versions. In fact, I had an unlicenced 4.7.3 which I had used a long time ago for evaluation. Today, I installed the 5.0.3 version to see what improvements had been made. During installation, the installer suggested the folder "TextPad 5". I assumed that it was going to install into another folder. It sure did, but it also uninstalled the older version. When I clicked on the icon, Windows attempted to look for the Norton Recycler file. That was surprising. It did not point to the new TextPad.exe. I had to manually change that. Maybe the moderators should take some time to look at this problem or at least post a feedback.
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

Maybe the moderators should take some time to look at this problem or at least post a feedback.
Just to let you know, that as a moderator, I have no knowledge or extra input re development issues.

I am an end user, like yourself, and my moderator function is to help filter out spam and make sure TOS are not broken.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob