trouble seeing the highlight during a search

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

beekerc

trouble seeing the highlight during a search

Post by beekerc »

On my laptop, I can barely see the highlighted text as a result of a search. is there a way in options/preferences to change the color or intensity of a highlighted result?
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

Look in the help file for the topic "How to Customize Colors" and then you can change the colour for the item "Selected text (no focus)".

Andrew
FanSince2001

Post by FanSince2001 »

It works! Don't be put off if your first attempts to configure your hightlight colors are not successful. It is worth the small amount of effort required.

Note: The terms "Foreground" and "Background" are a little strained in the context of setting the "Current Line" setting. If you WANT all the frills the Textpad programmers have provided for you, set the "background" to be what I'd call background. The "foreground" setting controls the color of the dotted line above and below the current line. You may prefer to set that to the same color as you have selected for the background. The color of the text on the current line is set... somewhere else!

Now... going back to the question that sparked this thread.... What happens when you search for something? While the search window is still open, you will see a line in the appropriate colors for the "current line", and within that line, you'll see what you searched for in some color scheme. To change the colors (letters and background) you see at this point, change "Selected Text (No Focus)".

If you close the search window (or click someplace outside it), the colors of the selected text will change. If you close the search window, they will be in the "Selected Text" (in window with focus) colors. If you click outside the search window, the selection will be cancelled, so the text will just appear normal.

Whew! Hats off to the Textpad programmers for thinking all that out and making it work for us!

====
You can also "solve" this problem.. in a wasteful way!... by going to Preferences > View and turning off "Highlight the line containing the cursor"... but DO try to master setting up the colors... it is a shame to waste the programming effort that went into....

a) Providing the "highlight current line"
b) Customising options
kstory

Post by kstory »

I changed the Selected Text (no focus) color, but the color is only visible when the TextPad window is active.

I want to see the Selected Text (no focus) color when the search window is active. Is this possible?
Brian Harron

search for text and highlighted result

Post by Brian Harron »

I'm having an issue when 'finding' text in a text document. If I locate text and exit the find window, no problem with colors.. if I find text and keep the find window open in order to find a second time etc., the background of the found text is a very light shade of gray and hardly noticeable which makes it very difficult to see it..
Brian Harron
Brian Harron

highlighted selected text during a search

Post by Brian Harron »

I've found a solution, was not changing the preference for selected text (no focus). Have now done so and the searched and found text is displaying as I have configured.
Brian Harron