Open file problem

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Take0n

Open file problem

Post by Take0n »

Hello

I have installed TextPad 5.0 on Windows XP Home Edition SP2 (fully updated). But I have a problem, which I didn't have in the previus version of TextPad. Every time I double click on a file to open it with textpad (i.e. a .txt file) TextPad opens but without loading the file and I have to drag and drop it in textpad to view it!

Is there any solution, is this a known bug or is it just a setting I forgot to change? Please help me this is annoying. Do I have to go to the previus version again?
nvj1662

Post by nvj1662 »

FWIW I'm running TextPad 503 on XP Pro SP2 and have no such problem.
Take0n

Post by Take0n »

if I right click on a file and then select Textpad it opens them without problems but when I double click on a file that will open in textpad, textpad opens normally but the file won't load :\
helios

Post by helios »

Please try reinstalling TextPad 5 and use the Repair option when you get to that point. Uncheck the Context menu option on the General Preferences page before you reinstall, and then recheck it afterwards.
Helios Software Solutions
Take0n

Post by Take0n »

I did so but the problem remains! When I double click on a file it wont load but if I drag and drop it in textpad or right click on it and select textpad then it opens normally! I never had this problem before not even in windows vista I don't know whats wrong...
helios

Post by helios »

Please try making the following configuration change in Explorer(My Computer), as in the example below for .txt files:

From the Tools menu in Explorer choose:

1. Folder options
2. File types
3. Select the TXT file extension from the list
4. Click on Advanced
5. Click on Open/Edit
6. Untick Use DDE
7. Click OK
Take0n

Post by Take0n »

There is no such thing "use DDE" when I click on the button "edit" or "change" it opens a dialog where it asks me what program I want to open txt files with. nothing more
helios

Post by helios »

You are not clicking on the Advanced button. If you cannot see an Advanced button, then you need to make the relevant file association in TextPad (Configure/Preferences/Associated files), and then follow the instructions in my previous post.
Take0n

Post by Take0n »

It seems to work fine so thank you!!!
David Moore

Post by David Moore »

My problem is similar so I thought I'd use this thread.

When I click on a .txt file it opens OK, but I also get a Windows message saying it can't find the file:"Windows cannot find...Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again".

I can open from Textpad and the context menu. Also I don't get the problem when I click on a .log file.

I tried going into File Types as suggested above, but there isn't an advanced option for .txt (there is for .log). Textpad seems to be configured properly (the associations are for .txt, .log and .nfo).
peterv

Please help with double-click opening of files

Post by peterv »

I'm having a problem opening files with textpad from the explorer context menu. I've tried following Helios' directions, but they didn't work for me. I'm using ruby files, with an extension of *.rb. I had to reinstall my OS and programs, and Textpad worked fine prior to that. If I go into explorer, and try Helio's directions, there is no "Advanced" button, only new, change & restore. The context menu item is unchecked in textpad, and if I check it, then click apply, then ok, I go back into that screen, and the context menu item is unchecked again. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Take0n

Post by Take0n »

Well I don't know if I understood what you want to do but if you want to have textpad when right clicking on a file then go to textpad configuration/settings and there is an option there.

Configure > preferences > General
and in "put shortcuts to Textpad on:" it says context menu.

if you want to change a filetype from windows you click on the "change" button in folderoptions > filetypes and then select the program you want to open the filetype with.