Document tabs with Window Tile and Synchronize Scroll

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

klepton

Document tabs with Window Tile and Synchronize Scroll

Post by klepton »

I love TextPad, but...

In TextPad 5.0.3, it is inconvenient that when Document Tabs are enabled, the various window arrange commands (tile, cascade) are not available, nor is Synchronize Scrolling. Since I often compare multiple large files that differ in just a few key places, this restriction forces me to toggle Document Tabs multiple times and to manually scroll / search multiple times.

Instead I am forced to use the Document Selector pane, but that takes up a lot more screen space than Document Tabs and I cannot control the order files are listed in. I don't believe these restrictions applied to TextPad 4.7.3, and I don't see why they need to apply in more recent versions. I guess I have not explored all the new things in 5.0.3, but for now I regret upgrading.

Also, should allow individual file windows to be minimized within main TextPad window. That way, Tile Window vertically or horizontally can be used on a subset of the currently opened files. This was possible in TextPad 4.7.3. Without this ability, I have to close the files I don't want to tile, and then reopen them later.

- Scott B.
-------------------------
If you have to buy it,
it can't be cool
-------------------------
rcoats

Post by rcoats »

I've been comparing 4.7.3 and 5.0.3 and can confirm that the use of tabs in the older version did not disable the Window arrange buttons.

It's a pity that this feature has been disabled when tabs are used in the new version. I think I'll hold off on upgrading until it's fixed.

Richard
BMWM3LUV

Windows Tiling

Post by BMWM3LUV »

v5 of Textpad really messed up winidows tiling. I frequently would highight 2 or 3 of my open files (usually have 10+ Open), and would tile them...ONLY the highlighted ones. Or...could minimze unwanted ones once tiled.

Now...YOU GET ALL AND YOU WILL NOT LIKE IT.

This is counter productive "feature".
markm

Textpad 5 a big step backwards

Post by markm »

Hi,

If I liked tabs - then I would use one of the many free tools out there that all seem to use tabs.

Textpad as a commercial tool should really not go for tab only - I much prefer to work with many windows and be able tos see them side by side.

Re-installing 4.7 on my machine, and if Textpad doesn't allow MDI (multiple windows) then I will probably look for a replacement.

(I have been using Textpad as my main editor for about 5 years!)

Mark
MudGuard

Re: Textpad 5 a big step backwards

Post by MudGuard »

markm wrote:If I liked tabs - then I would use one of the many free tools out there that all seem to use tabs.
Textpad as a commercial tool should really not go for tab only - I much prefer to work with many windows and be able tos see them side by side.
One click on View - Document Tabs and the tabs are gone.

markm wrote:Re-installing 4.7 on my machine, and if Textpad doesn't allow MDI (multiple windows) then I will probably look for a replacement.
May I repeat: One click on View - Document Tabs and the tabs are gone.
And you have a wonderful MDI view of multiple Windows.
eatthatquestion

Document Tabs

Post by eatthatquestion »

I agree. The loss of the possiblility to tile windows without the tabs on is really painful, as is the disableing of the minimise function on the internal windows. I tried to give these changes the benefit of the doubt but after a few weeks I cannot get used to it. Please change it back. Also what has happened to the "save as" function on repeat presses of the save button...? Used to use this all the time too...
Julian
mikehsr

Document Tabs and the Window 'tools'

Post by mikehsr »

I'm also disappointed that the Window->Cascade / Time / Vertical / Horzontal selections are not available with Document Tabs enabled.

I don't understand why TABS would be an issue, since it was a great way to keep track of the open files.

Please, correct this. *** Could we see a VOTE on the issue?

My $0.02

Mike - Long time Texpad user