Hanging Indent - Possible?

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Roy Beatty

Hanging Indent - Possible?

Post by Roy Beatty »

I often find myself wishing for a hanging indent option. Creating a text glossary, for example. A typical format (sample taken from www.whatis.com):

data mining; Data mining is the analysis of data for relationships that have not previously been discovered. For example, the sales records for a particular brand of tennis racket might, if sufficiently analyzed and related to other market data, reveal a seasonal correlation with the purchase by the same parties of golf equipment.

I'd like to view it in TextPad like this (the phorumware forces me to tag the text for clarity):

data mining <\t> Data mining is the analysis of data for <br>
<\t>relationships that have not previously been discovered. <br>
<\t>For example, the sales records for a particular brand <br>

Ideally, i would be able to specify by how many tabs I want to indent subsequent wrapped lines.

Is the feature there, I just don't know it?

TIA,

Roy
Randall McDougall

Re: Hanging Indent - Possible?

Post by Randall McDougall »

It's not really there ... when I've wanted to do similar things the closest solution was to turn the maintain-indent on and then hard break at the end of the first line, manually indenting the second ... subsequent lines will maintain that, but it can be a nuisance if your line length needs to change by very much ...
Zhiroc

Post by Zhiroc »

Rather than start a new thread, might as well reuse this very old one.

I too would love to see a hanging indent feature. Alternatively, or in addition, I'd love to see text double-spaced on a hard return.

The reason is that without either, it's really hard to tell the difference between a line that was word-wrapped, and one after a hard return.

In conjunction, I'd like to be able to specify the wrap column. Basing it on window width is too random, and if I need to convert to hard returns, I don't want to fiddle with the window to get it just right.