jameshanley39

error accessing c:\system\java.syn .. invalid path

Post by jameshanley39 »

error accessing c:\system\java.syn
c:\system\java.syn contains an invalid path

I got the above error when trying to open a .java file
helios

Post by helios »

In order to enable the syntax highlighting, you will need to implement the following procedure for each document class, as in the example below:

Click on:

1. Configure
2. Preferences
3. Plus sign next to Document Classes
4. Plus sign next to "Java"
5. Syntax
6. Check the "Enable syntax highlighting" box.
7. Under the heading "Syntax definition file" Select
"java.syn".
8. Click Apply / OK

I hope this helps.
Helios Software Solutions
joelmw

Error accessing . . .

Post by joelmw »

I wonder if this is related. I seem to get my error only (so far) when opening a workspace that contains text files (if I open individual text files, it seems to be fine). I've gone through configuration and even the registry but haven't been able to make it go away:

"Error accessing 'C:\Program Files\TextPad 4\System\TEXT.SYN' C:\Program Files\TextPad 4\System\TEXT.SYN contains an invalid path."

The problem started after upgrade to TextPad 5 (5.0.2).

I may come back with more later . . .
Grace and Peace,
Joel
stand

upgrading workspaces to version 5

Post by stand »

I have the same problem as joelmw. It seems that workspaces have paths to my old textpad 4 system directory in them.

I can workaround by leaving a TextPad 4 directory in place, but I don't like this. I could probably also recreate my workspaces, but I have a lot of textpad 4 workspaces that I'd need to recreate. Is there any way I can upgrade them all to tp5?

Thanks
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

You can copy/move your macros to a folder under TextPad 5x and change the path of the folder for the macros as noted in the earlier posting.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

I also have seen the problem of obsolete paths to syntax files. It's caused by those paths being stored explicitly in the workspace.
Paul in NJ

Post by Paul in NJ »

Here's another one: after upgrading from 4.7.3 to 5.0.3 I now get the TEXT.SYN error when opening a particular .SHTML file (I added that extension to both the Associated Files and File Name Filters settings a few versions back).

Once I clear the error the file opens. The error is replicable, but only one one SHTML file -- not on others so far.

UPDATE: I can generate the error when I right-click on ANY filename in a document tab and select 'Properties'. When I clear the error I get the file Properties. This only happens once per open file.
billke

Fix for text.syn contains an invalid path

Post by billke »

I also got "Error accessing 'C:\Program Files\TextPad 4\System\TEXT.SYN' C:\Program Files\TextPad 4\System\TEXT.SYN contains an invalid path."
after upgrade 4.7 to TextPad 5 (5.0.3) , whenever I started TP.

Click Configure > Preferences > Folders
Change the location for "Syntax" from:
C:\documents and settings\username\Application Data\Helios\TextPad\5.0
to
C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\system
and OK

Seems after TP5 upgrade the syntax files are kept in program files/system folder and not copied to Documents and Settings folder?