Textpad 5.0.3 missing features that were in 4.7

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

agodfrin

Textpad 5.0.3 missing features that were in 4.7

Post by agodfrin »

I am a bit disappointed by the latest version of Textpad I just installed. There are features from version 4.7 that somehow went missing:

- I am no longer able to show multiple windows with synchronized scrolling

- In 4.7 when I saved a file that had no change (or that I had already saved before) I was taken into the save as dialog. This was an easy way to create copies of files. This is no longer possible: when a file has no change, clicking on the "save" icon has no effect. I have to go via the file menu/save as

- In 4.7, the name of the files on a tab were set to bold when that file was changed. Now, there is a * next to the name. I find this less visible.

I am going to re-install 4.7. Good thing I kept the install kit around.

Albert
dak

Re: Textpad 5.0.3 missing features that were in 4.7

Post by dak »

agodfrin wrote:I am a bit disappointed by the latest version of Textpad I just installed.
Welcome to the club. I'll never understand why Helios took a perfectly good application, with a loyal user base, a user interface that everyone was used to and happy with, and then proceeded to stuff it up.

While the user base waits for a real update with genuine enhancements, all Helios will say about bugs/enhancements is: "It will be fixed in the next release."

Given that we waited two years or so for the last non-update, the next release could still be some way off.

I could forgive Helios if they would only keep us informed about what they are doing. I don't want a hard-and-fast release date, but it would be really nice to know what they are working on for the next update. There have been several enhancement lists or polls published in this Forum, but all have been met with a stolid and ignorant silence from Helios. It is aggravating in the extreme.

Cheers,

dak
bblackmoor

Post by bblackmoor »

Another missing feature in 5 is the ability to output command results (such as search results) to a normal document. I like having the search results be visible across the whole editing area. I like having a text document being visible in the entire editing area. I like being able to CTRL-TAB between documents and the search results. I most definitely do not like having the search results window wedged down at the bottom of the screen, where it is unreadable, while the currently open text document is reduced in size by that amount.

I installed TextPad 5 because I was hoping for real Unicode support. I don't have real unicode support, and the one core functionality that makes me choose TextPad over competing text editors (all of which are free) has been crippled.

I'll be uninstalling 5 and reinstalling 4.
gpt

Post by gpt »

I absolutely agree! The search window was great as it was. Why change it??
And another thing I find quite annoying (unless it’s customisable, I don’t know) is that, when you open a new document, the tab is placed to the left of the previous one, not to the right as before.
chrisgl

Post by chrisgl »

Oh dear, oh dear. I've used Textpad for around ten years without having much in the way of problems (leaving editing macros aside)

The issues mentioned are ones I would miss very much. I wonder what else is changed for the worse.

I'm really glad I spotted this thread whilst d/l the 5.0.3 update which I'll now trash and find some other way to edit files with characters outside the bounds that Textpad recognises.

chris :-)

(very disappointed)