Dockable explorer window opens very slowly in TP 5.0.3

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

DCB

Dockable explorer window opens very slowly in TP 5.0.3

Post by DCB »

The first time the dockable explorer window is opened, it takes a VERY long time to open, and the cursor is in the "hourglass" state during that time. I've figured out that the first time it opens, it opens on the My Documents folder, sorts all of the contents alphabetically, and then displays the folder in the open state with all of the subfolders and files.
  • * Is there any way to configure the dockable explorer window to not open My Documents?
    * Or, is there any way to configure the dockable explorer window to open to a folder of the user's choice?
I can't find any way to do this in Configure|Preferences, nor from inspecting the Helios keys in the registry.

Any suggestions?
helios

Post by helios »

Configure/Preferences/Folders/Startup.

Exit from TextPad to ensure the new setting is saved.

Please note that the Startup folder that you choose will also be the default folder that TextPad starts in, for the Save As and Open dialog boxes.

I hope this helps.
Helios Software Solutions
DCB

Post by DCB »

Thank you. That does solve the problem. I'm not sure yet where I'm going to choose as my new TP5 Startup folder, but this is an acceptable solution.

As an old TP user from the 2.x-3.x days (I'm in the Previous Releases acknowledgments), I'd like to make a suggestion to improve this feature. Would it be possible to select/highlight the dockable Explorer window on the Startup folder as chosen above w/o actually opening it? Then even if the folder is chock full of files, it would open much faster. Just a thought ...

Thanks again for your assistance. Let me add that I really like the enhancements from TP5 to TP4!

Regards,

DCB