Convert MS ACCESS query to SQL Server query

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

mehl

Post by mehl »

Hello --

does anyone know of a TextPad macro to convert an MS ACCESS query to work in SQL Server Enterprise Manager or Query Analyhzer?

Thanks for any help.

Larry Mehl
Boris

Post by Boris »

Last edited by Boris on Wed May 16, 2007 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

There is a list of macros here: http://www.textpad.com/add-ons/macros.html

If you don't find what you want there, you may be able to make this macro yourself by running a series of Search/Replace commands. I have a routine that does 28 Search/Replace routines to reformat from an encoded database into a semicolon delimited asc file that is then imported into Access.

Although this is "data" it is just strings of text. Your Access SQL statements are just strings of text, and could also be processed the same way.

I am not familiar with the exact differences, but I seem to recall one change might be as simple as adding/deleting a semicolon at the end of each line. If you can look at your Access SQL statements and identify the changes, then you should be able to define the Search/Replaces that are needed.

Work out the steps and the sequence manually, then put together a macro that combines all of them. Once you have tested this out, you can then submit it to be added to the current list of macros available.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
mehl

Post by mehl »

Bob --

Thank you for the suggestions and ideas.

Larry