Tip: TextPad for View Source in WinXP

Usage tips, posted by users. No questions here please.

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

jmmp

Tip: TextPad for View Source in WinXP

Post by jmmp »

The normal AddOn to make Internet Explorer open source in TextPad rather than notepad.exe no longer works in Windows XP. The way to get XP/IE "View Source" to open Textpad is:

Download and install TweekUI from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/ ... ertoys.asp

From there you can specify, amongst other things, that Internet Explorer uses Textpad for Source Viewing.

:D
John Montgomery
Aberdeen, Scotland.
xhenxhe

Or edit the registry...

Post by xhenxhe »

It's funny I stumbled across this because I just changed IE this morning to do just that, but I found instructions for editing the registry at http://www2.chemie.uni-erlangen.de/peop ... tails.html

:arrow: (requires I.E. 5.0 or later, you have to have WRITE access to registry on
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer key)
Click on Start, select Run..., enter regedit, and press Enter.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.

If a View Source Editor key (item with folder icon next to it) does not exist, right click on the Internet Explorer key and select Key from the New menu to create one. Its name must be exactly View Source Editor.

Again using the Key on the New menu of the right click menu, create an Editor Name key inside the View Source Editor key if one does not exist.

When you finish, the fully qualified path to where you are currently in the registry (displayed in the status bar at the bottom of the screen) should be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor Name

In the right hand pane double click on the listing for (default). Dialog should pop-up prompting to edit value. In the resulting string box enter a fully qualified path to a program file in the form of x:\directory\filename.ext surrounded by double quotes, i.e. "D:\Programs\some_editor.exe" and then click the OK button.

Internet Explorer must be restarted in order to changes will be taken into account.
OnlyTextPad

Use Opera

Post by OnlyTextPad »

The fastest browser on the planet could use TextPad by just Alt + F3

Alt + P , Advanced , Programs , Choose Application for viewing source , Edit , select Open with other application and put C:\Program Files\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe or whatever installation path you have used
Paul in NJ

Re: Use Opera

Post by Paul in NJ »

OnlyTextPad wrote:The fastest browser on the planet could use TextPad by just Alt + F3
Now, now, be kind to the unenlightened. :twisted: