Sponsored by Micro$oft?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

MindSports

Sponsored by Micro$oft?

Post by MindSports »

I wonder why the TextPad 5.0.2/5.0.3 installer insists on downloading WindowsInstaller-kb893803-x86.exe first, which fails because "an error occured" - very informative as all windows error messages are.

Yes, I am connected to the internet.
Looking on the M$ site, it says with regard to that file: "This download is available to customers running genuine Microsoft Windows."

Well, I thought I did and even if I didn't it's not Helios' business!

Or is it? Is this v5 update release just another ploy to seek and destroy all those criminals that steal from poor Micro$oft?

Please, Helios, make your software available without the need to fall on ones knees before the holy BG.
Drxenos

Re: Sponsored by Micro$oft?

Post by Drxenos »

MindSports wrote:I wonder why the TextPad 5.0.2/5.0.3 installer insists on downloading WindowsInstaller-kb893803-x86.exe first, which fails because "an error occured" - very informative as all windows error messages are.

Looking on the M$ site, it says with regard to that file: "This download is available to customers running genuine Microsoft Windows."

Or is it? Is this v5 update release just another ploy to seek and destroy all those criminals that steal from poor Micro$oft?

Please, Helios, make your software available without the need to fall on ones knees before the holy BG.
Please drop the hyperbole. That file is the latest version of the Windows Installer. I would assume that TextPad relies on some fixes it contains. So, Microsoft makes you validate your copy of Windows before you can downloaded. That's not Helios doing.

DrX
gan

Re: Sponsored by Micro$oft?

Post by gan »

MindSports wrote:I wonder why the TextPad 5.0.2/5.0.3 installer insists on downloading WindowsInstaller-kb893803-x86.exe first, which fails because "an error occured" - very informative as all windows error messages are.

If you wonder why textpad require windows installer 3.1 i would suggest that you read about windows installer on the Microsoft website. When you understand what windows installer is and how it works it's also easy to understand why it's required.
I find it a bit silly to put the blame on Helios because you don't have a valid windows license. Several companies use windows installer for the installation of their software. If Helios used the latest version and Microsoft require a valid windows license to download it's only yourself to blame if you don't have a valid windows license. It's a bit odd to create a post in this forum and blame Helios because your illegal windows license give you problems. I suggest that you get yourself a valid windows license and if you are not willing to buy windows you should at least not blame anyone else.
MindSports

Post by MindSports »

Thanks for your mild replies.

First of all, I wasn't blaming Helios, I was asking nicely (notice the "please") to be as independently as possible.
If anyone's to blame it's Microsoft for not allowing that - they could have made that new installer available without restrictions, if every other company depends on it.

Secondly, I do have a licensed copy of Windows, just didn't validate it yet.
And, in case you're wondering, I do have a TextPad license too - many thanks to Helios for extending it to v5.

Maybe I was overreacting a bit, but whenever Bill (or anybody else, for that matter) gets in the way of - or dictates - what gets installed on my system it hits a nerve with me. This time it appears benign, next time it might be less so. (Yes, call me paranoid.)

The lack of any real explanation of what was going on didn't help my mood either. Sure, a bit of googling did help, but why doesn't the installer present a resolution by itself?
Also, I don't see any mention of minimal installer versions in the requirements section on TextPad's download page.

Looking at other messages in this forum there are others having the same problem and seeking help. So I don't think its odd at all that the issue is addressed here. I hope someone finds this discussion helpful.
Nicholas Jordan

Post by Nicholas Jordan »

MindSports wrote:I hope someone finds this discussion helpful.
I did, and like you - I find the replies mild.

The issues, and your handling of them was a cake_walk for me ... but it is not for others.
Last edited by Nicholas Jordan on Tue May 01, 2007 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gan

Post by gan »

MindSports wrote:Thanks for your mild replies.
First of all, I wasn't blaming Helios, I was asking nicely (notice the "please") to be as independently as possible.
If anyone's to blame it's Microsoft for not allowing that - they could have made that new installer available without restrictions, if every other company depends on it.
Also, I don't see any mention of minimal installer versions in the requirements section on TextPad's download page.
Looking at other messages in this forum there are others having the same problem and seeking help. So I don't think its odd at all that the issue is addressed here. I hope someone finds this discussion helpful.
I'm sorry if a was a bit harsh. I just got the impression that you didn't have a valid Windows license. It's really not hard to validate, but i read that several other complain about wga as well.

I understand why people don't like WGA, activation and other stuff that make it harder for those that actually have a valid license. I had problems in the past because of this as well. I also understand why Microsoft and other software developers add stuff like this. I think the only one to blame is those that don't buy their software. If there was no piracy there wouldn't be any WGA, copy protections and stuff like that.

I also agree that the installation program for Textpad could include Windows installer or at least include a valid URL to download this from Microsoft and they could mention this in the requirements/release notes as well.
Drxenos

Post by Drxenos »

Nicholas Jordan wrote:I did, and like you - I find the replies mild.

The issues, and your handling of them was a cake_walk for me ... but it is not for others.

Why, I do not know - but it is obvious (to me) that exposing one's interfaces over the wide wire world will inevtiably result in this sort of discourse again and again. The sad part about it is that licensed users get thrown in with un-licensed users -> as did you.

I consider this a senior challenge in computer security and if the others have difficulty with mind-games, I am already up to battery by a full house of phd's and invite you to direct your discourse of this nature to me to the extent that others find it difficult and distracting.
I have no idea what you are trying to say, let alone what your point is.

DrX
Nicholas Jordan

I have no idea what you are trying to say, let alone what yo

Post by Nicholas Jordan »

Drxenos wrote:
I have no idea what you are trying to say, let alone what your point is.

DrX
For some reason, which escapes my grasp, many people respond as did you. The computer - in it's current evolvment - links by wire the minds of diverse natures. Conflict, which has a well established history in human existence, is therefore inevitable - and in my opinion is exploited by sales and others for a wide range of intrinsics which may have merit in survival, but is endemic and retardant to the free flow of ideas.

I have remarkable skills in that I can think about matters that will occur during the day (the day ahead .... not yet dawned) which have no basis in logic or planning, and shift those events at will for my entertainment.

I have found that this leads into issues in the arena of computer security, which it is the computer that interests me ~ not the security per se. All of the poster's efforts are either directly in or return to matters about which reasonable and accomplished persons may diverge or re-direct the work of the machine to personal goals, which is fine for your machine at the house.

But when Gene Pool, the average user (Man on Street in professional discussion terminology) opens traffic coming in over port 25 and gets bannered for constipation remedies, we have a weakness which may allow take-over of the flat-screen for full-tilt-boogie information warfare, conducted by mindgames.

This irks businesses no end, and is a potential market for programming. Whenever anybody dictates what gets installed on business system it hits a nerve with those businesses.

:shock:

I invited discussion by MindSports because, exactly as you responded, most people have no idea what he and I are trying to say, and therefore attempted to direct discussion of this nature to me because I find it interesting, entertaining, funny and .... most importantly, can use it in my work.

Go visit Cornell/LLI or Findlaw or something and read ten or twenty cases. In paticular, read Hormel Foods v Jim Henson Productions and let me know after reading some case law if my original post makes even slight sense.
Drxenos

Re: I have no idea what you are trying to say, let alone wha

Post by Drxenos »

Nicholas Jordan wrote: For some reason, which escapes my grasp, many people respond as did you. The computer - in it's current evolvment - links by wire the minds of diverse natures. Conflict, which has a well established history in human existence, is therefore inevitable - and in my opinion is exploited by sales and others for a wide range of intrinsics which may have merit in survival, but is endemic and retardant to the free flow of ideas.

I have remarkable skills in that I can think about matters that will occur during the day (the day ahead .... not yet dawned) which have no basis in logic or planning, and shift those events at will for my entertainment.

I have found that this leads into issues in the arena of computer security, which it is the computer that interests me ~ not the security per se. All of the poster's efforts are either directly in or return to matters about which reasonable and accomplished persons may diverge or re-direct the work of the machine to personal goals, which is fine for your machine at the house.

But when Gene Pool, the average user (Man on Street in professional discussion terminology) opens traffic coming in over port 25 and gets bannered for constipation remedies, we have a weakness which may allow take-over of the flat-screen for full-tilt-boogie information warfare, conducted by mindgames.

This irks businesses no end, and is a potential market for programming. Whenever anybody dictates what gets installed on business system it hits a nerve with those businesses.

:shock:

I invited discussion by MindSports because, exactly as you responded, most people have no idea what he and I are trying to say, and therefore attempted to direct discussion of this nature to me because I find it interesting, entertaining, funny and .... most importantly, can use it in my work.

Go visit Cornell/LLI or Findlaw or something and read ten or twenty cases. In paticular, read Hormel Foods v Jim Henson Productions and let me know after reading some case law if my original post makes even slight sense.
Again: I don't understand what point you are trying to make, or what relevance it has to what I or anyone else have written in this thread. What does your long-winded, rambling, diatribe have to with Helios' use of Windows Installer, and the OP's disgust with MS activation?
Bob Hansen

Moderator comment

Post by Bob Hansen »

This thread has turned into a blog vs. tech support for TextPad.

Future similar postings here will be deleted by moderators.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob