TP 5 registry - where is the license key?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

christhetechie

TP 5 registry - where is the license key?

Post by christhetechie »

Anyone know where TP5 keeps the license key in the registry so I can build an unattended XP disk which installs it for me?
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Single user licenses are stored under this key, if TextPad cannot get write access to HKEY_USERS:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Helios\TextPad 5\license

Otherwise, both single user and site licenses are stored under this key:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Helios\TextPad 5\license

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Forum Administrator
Last edited by bbadmin on Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christhetechie

Post by christhetechie »

Found it under HKU\.DEFAULT. Thanks for the help! Was looking in HKLM :P

Interestingly I have a normal license rather than site license and it's appearing under HKU\.DEFAULT

This is 5.0.2 btw - fresh install on XP SP2.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

I've amended my original post to explain what happens when write access is available to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT.
jazzgeir

Post by jazzgeir »

It would be very nice to get a full overview of the first time running process, because it is very hard to integrate installation and upgrading of TextPad in a large network with many computers...

I'm currently having problems with installing TextPad5 in a mixed environment of computers with TextPad4 as well as clean installs...

So, if you could post a list of the checks and actions that takes place the first time a user runs an updated or freshly installed Textpad... For instance: Does the check on writability in the HKEY_USERS hive take place BEFORE the license keys in the same hive is checked? It seems like this might be the case...

And what happens if a license is found in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive? I.e. a license key from TextPad4? Where in this process does this check take place?

This is essential stuff if you want your software (of which I can say a huge number of positive things) to be used in large computer environments...
bbadmin wrote:Single user licenses are stored under this key, if TextPad cannot get write access to HKEY_USERS:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Helios\TextPad 5\license

Otherwise, both single user and site licenses are stored under this key:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Helios\TextPad 5\license

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Forum Administrator