Database?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

railroader

Database?

Post by railroader »

I have made a list of one line addresses. Is it possible to create a searchable database with textpad? I have in mind a booking system for taxi firm.
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

Database? No. A searchable text document, you bet.

TextPad might be a great way to write the program that would allow you make a booking system for a taxi firm but I don't see how it'd be the booking system.
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.
railroader

Post by railroader »

I have exactly the right ideas to do it, but I cant write the code. If there was an offer of help?
railroader

Post by railroader »

How much do you have to pay someone? can you do it by distance? Offering?
Jon Summers

Simple DB

Post by Jon Summers »

Convert each address line to comma-separated values (CSV), then import the text file into Excel or another spreadsheet.
Excel provides column searching and ordering.
Regards, Jon Summers
railroader

Post by railroader »

How do you convert to comma seperated values?
vhdeskchris

Post by vhdeskchris »

You can actually... It can't do relational but for basic flat record storage it can't be beaten.

you need for a database:-

1. A way to identify columns (explicit order tab separated)
2. A way to identify rows (line number)
3. A way to search for data in particular rows (F5)
4. A way to sort (Ctrl+A, F9!)

A booking system would probably be better done in Access or even better something more robust...
railroader

Post by railroader »

You can actually what? My question was "how do you convert to comma seperated values"

What is something more robust?
mp

Post by mp »

Hey railroader. I don't mean to be rude but have you tried to do any research on your own rather than continually asking for the hand feeding? Most folks want to lend a hand but most folks are really busy doing their own work too.

To understand csv file and databases one only has to exploit the wealth of info on the net, but in the interests of being helpful here are some links to get you started:

Databases

CSV (Comma Separated Values) files

To appreciate why CSV files are useful (and a common denominator between database applications) see --

Parsing

Cheers,

Michael.
/* Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be discovered. Carl Sagan. */
railroader

Post by railroader »

Sorry I thought this forum was all about swapping information and I did offer to pay so thats hardly handfeeding. But thanks anyhow.
mp

Post by mp »

Did you read the info at the links (and subsequent links)?
/* Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be discovered. Carl Sagan. */
derek325

Post by derek325 »

Railroader, this forum IS about swapping information about certain topic: about TextPad text editor. It IS NOT about swapping information about life, Universe and everything.

What you ask are questions not related to the topic of this forum. I believe that myself and a few other guys politely indicated direction you should be following. Another good move would be to find an appropriate forum, NOT this one. On the Internet there are hundreds thousands of forums dedicated to all possible topics. This one is about TextPad, a text editor. Wrong place.
Jon Summers

Simple Database

Post by Jon Summers »

"How do you convert to comma seperated values?"

Have you looked at a comma separated value (CSV) file? Use Excel to create a simple table, then 'Save As' csv. Open the CSV file with your favourite text editor.
Regards, Jon Summers
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

Ewwww no. I do a good deal of work with data and let me just say Excel is a horrible tool for creating CSVs. Fine tool for viewing data, fine tool for doing spreadsheet activities but the conversion out of native format to CSV is utter crap.
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.
railroader

Post by railroader »

Derek "how do you convert to comma seperated values" is not about life and the universe and everything- it is about code that is written with textpad. I would prefer not to go on but there have been further replies past yours, thanks.