Crash when associating .CPP files to TextPad 5.0

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

BCMadsen

Crash when associating .CPP files to TextPad 5.0

Post by BCMadsen »

Not sure what might be causing this. I've installed TP5 over TP 4.7.3. Some time ago, I also installed Visual Studio 2005 Professional.

For some reason, VS2005 insists on hijacking the .CPP file extension, and would do this with TP4 as well. It's driving me bananas, because I'd really rather associate .CPP files with TP and keep it that way, but noooooooo. (I'm sure there's a configuration option somewhere in VS2005 that will change this behavior, but I haven't found it yet.)

Anyway: what I notice when I try to do this with TP5 is a crash, and it happens repeatedly, every single time. In TP5, with no documents open, select "Preferences" from the Configure menu, then find "Associated Files" in the left-hand tree, then select .CPP from the droplist on the right. Immediately, a message box pops up, saying "TextPad has encounted a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." (Associating other pre-canned file extensions, such as .TXT, does not result in this behavior, and works as expected.)

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong, and how to work around it?

Brian