Textpad 5 Windows Explorer Integration Problem

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

codex897

Textpad 5 Windows Explorer Integration Problem

Post by codex897 »

Hi,

I've just upgraded to version 5 and have found that I can no longer open files from Explorer. Associated files only open Textpad but do not load the file, the right click menu no longer shows the Textpad option (though I can use 'Open With' with the same bug as associated files).

Is anyone else experiencing this, is this a know problem, or am I being really stupid and missing something?

Cheers
Adie
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

In a different thread, Helios said
"TextPad can only uninstall configurations that were made during the installation process, so unfortunately the Shortcuts for the previous Version can remain in place. Try redoing the shortcuts in TextPad, or failing that, manually delete them and then redo them in TextPad. The Preferences dialogue box should return to its normal behaviour."

So, I'm guessing file associations are probably borked as well since the installer couldn't migrate settings from TP4.
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.
codex897

Post by codex897 »

Thanks for the prompt reply. I would uninstall both versions but don't want to lose all of the settings etc that I got set up the way I like it in version 4. Can I export my setting or am I thinking of a different piece of software?

So after a bit of hacking in the registry to back up the settings I uninstalled TextPad5 and deleted all traces of it. Reinstalled it and things have improved. I still can't double click and open a file, but at least the TextPad menu option is there.

Iron out the few bugs that are being found and version 5 will be a cracker. A nice to have would be if the docked explorer window 'followed' the active document .

Cheers