PLEASE HELP with FindNext on Windows

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

holycrip

PLEASE HELP with FindNext on Windows

Post by holycrip »

I'm sure someone has run into this before. Please provide the solution.

I have been using TextPad for years and love having the simple ability to highlight text and hit Ctrl+F to find the next occurance. Today, however, this stopped working. Now when I hit Ctrl+F (with text highlighted and with focus on the TextPad window) the Windows 'search computers' windows keeps poping up.

It's as if the Ctrl+F event is now, for whatever reason, being captured by Windows (XP Pro) before it gets to TextPad, when that was not the case for YEARS.

Please help as this is driving me crazy.

Thank you in advance!
-Rich
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Are you sure you hit Ctrl, or are you hitting the Windows key next to it?

The Windows search dialog usually pops up when you press Windows+F.
holycrip

Yes, Ctrl+F and not Win+F

Post by holycrip »

Yes, I am certain that I have been using Ctrl+F and not hitting WinowsKey+F by mistake. I wish it was a "stupid user error."

I have a coworker who has never been able to use Ctrl+F in TextPad on his machine. It's very annoying when I use it to hlp him through something.

Also, I was confused about the OS. I was thinking of my home machine. My work machine is Win2K if that makes any difference.

Any ideas?
-Rich
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Under Configure - Preferences - Editor, what is your setting for "Keystroke Compatibility"?
If not "Microsoft Applications", does changing to "Microsoft Applications" help?

If that fails,
under Configure - Preferences - Keyboard
you can set key combinations for most (all?) commands.
holycrip

no good

Post by holycrip »

Thanks for the suggestions. My feeling is that this is a Windows setting change instead of a TextPad change, since Windows seems to grab the event message before it's sent to the TextPad application.

So, is there somewhere in Windows that says 'don't act on the Ctrl+F event and let it bubble up to the app (TextPad) to handle' ??
-Rich
Jens Hollmann

Post by Jens Hollmann »

I discovered something similar a few weeks ago. Textpad was loosing some keystrokes (Alt-0 in this case) and it turned out it was Microsoft Word!

When I run these 2 applications at the same time, some keystrokes don't work in TextPad anymore. A bug of Word in my opinion. Somehow it steals the keystrokes or something. Does not happen all the time of course. That would be too simple. It's just when I close Word everything is fine again.

Maybe if you try to close other applications (especially the ones in the taskbar) you can find out if one of these influences TextPad.