Remotely edit files via FTP (repost)

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

How important is it to you, to have this feature implemented into future versions of TextPad?

Important, even if the size/efficiency of TextPad increases/degrades
31%
Somewhat important
10%
I'm okay either way
8%
Somewhat unimportant
20%
Unimportant, even if the size/efficiency of TextPad remains unaffected
31%

Total votes: 61

Black2lip

Post by Black2lip »

This is the one main feature I'm still missing in Textpad, alot of the other editors have this feature which made me try them almost all, but somehow textpad just seems to work better.

I'm using textpad for years and still find some new great handy features, but FTP is really a big feature still missing :(
joeysmith

Let's let FTP die

Post by joeysmith »

It should have died out by now. The number of ISPs which allow FTP access is constantly dwindling anyway.

Adding "Edit over FTP" encourages bad habits of directly editing live files, and using an known insecure protocol. A better idea would be to focus on adding support for various revision control systems. In fact, I think I'll add such a suggestion right now.
IronMug

Post by IronMug »

If this request is honored, I second the need for sFTP. Normal FTP is slowly going away, and is completely removed from my work systems.
Seed

not that low for me

Post by Seed »

I've found that being able to open a file via ftp through UltraEdits's ftp open function a time saving way of editing files. Fewer hoops to jump through to examine a file. Would like to see ftp built into Textpad.