New TextPad Version?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Epoch

New TextPad Version?

Post by Epoch »

There is a new TextPad Version or the last is 4.7.3?

Thanks.
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

Yes, 4.7.3 is the latest version
Epoch

Post by Epoch »

There are notice of next release?

The 4.7.3 are 2 years old and Vista is on the doors...

thanks.
Leif

Post by Leif »

Epoch wrote:The 4.7.3 are 2 years old and Vista is on the doors...
Maybe TP is closer "on the doors". We'll just have to wait and see...
crackwitz

Post by crackwitz »

a mailing list or feed announcing the new version would be great, once it's out. i want to check it out as soon as possible.

i wonder if helios can manage to keep the new textpad lean enough for it to load up in <.5 seconds, considering all the feature requests... i just hope that, if it comes without some major functionality, that it supports user-supplied plugins (or a plugin to support python-scripting the whole editor) so i can hack my way towards my ideal editor configuration.
joconnell

Post by joconnell »

i just hope that, if it comes without some major functionality, that it supports user-supplied plugins (or a plugin to support python-scripting the whole editor) so i can hack my way towards my ideal editor configuration.
Much more useful would be support for Active Scripting so that any AS language (Javascript, VBScript, Perl etc) could be used to customise TP.

Johno
crackwitz

Post by crackwitz »

true :) i'd like that too

but down that road you'd get an editor completely made of scripts... emacs comes to mind. where's my neural interface?!?! :lol:
ajmas

Post by ajmas »

crackwitz wrote:a mailing list or feed announcing the new version would be great, once it's out. i want to check it out as soon as possible.

i wonder if helios can manage to keep the new textpad lean enough for it to load up in <.5 seconds, considering all the feature requests... i just hope that, if it comes without some major functionality, that it supports user-supplied plugins (or a plugin to support python-scripting the whole editor) so i can hack my way towards my ideal editor configuration.
This could easily be done if they allowed notification subscriptions to the thread: http://www.textpad.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5510 . Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be be the case.
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

Well, I simply clicked on "Watch this topic for replies". Of course I can't check if this works, unless someone actually posts a reply...
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Unfortunately notification of replies to that post will not cover the announcement of TextPad 5.0 as that would be a new thread.

The best approach is to monitor the TextPad home page using Change Detection and receive an email when it changes. I can't remember if I am monitoring that page or not :(

Shame on you for not checking the forum every day :wink:
EdH

Post by EdH »

It would be nice if http://www.textpad.com/news/index.html had an RSS feed. Then you'd get a notice of updates without messing with another web site. Maybe 5.0 will have the ability to check for updates itself? It seems just about all other software does these days.
mmakowski

Post by mmakowski »

If you'd like to be up to date on new software releases you might have a look at a website I set up a while ago: http://www.bimbr.com for this very purpose. It already checks for new TextPad versions, if you want to monitor any other software you can just add it to Bimbr. It has a personalised RSS feed, so you will only be informed about releases of software you are interested in.
PeteTheBloke

Post by PeteTheBloke »

SteveH wrote:Shame on you for not checking the forum every day :wink:
Every day since June 19th 2004???

Even more ironically, the announcement is on the "What's New" page. I paid less than £20 for Textpad. Why not just OS the prog? I'll Paypal a donation of £20 straightaway.