Clipboard history stops recording clipboard entries

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Kakoroat

Clipboard history stops recording clipboard entries

Post by Kakoroat »

Hello, I looked through the forum for someone who has this problem, so I apologize if this was answered already (please direct me to it if you know it, thanks).

Issue: Sometimes, the Clipboard history stops recording copy or cuts. I thought it was because the History was full, so I cleared my history, but it didn't work. I don't really want to shut down Textpad and restart because I have several files that are just holding temporary information that I would have to save and reload (I know, I'm being lazy). Any thoughts?

System: I've had this happen to me on Win 2000 and Win XP Professional (not sure if it ever happened on Win XP Home edition). Each system has atleast 1 Gb of memory and I wasn't running anything that was using lots of memory.

Thank you in advance.
I am.
helios

Post by helios »

There is a hard coded limit of 1MB for all entries in the Clipboard History, and I think the total number of entries allowed is 40, assuming that is still less than IMB. Clearing the history should permit new entries to be added, so I don't know why that isn't working.

Have you tried Refreshing it by right clicking on the "Clipboard History" title, and choosing Refresh?
Helios Software Solutions
mo

Post by mo »

I'm just doing something that is producing a problem that may be related:

Lots of cut and paste.

Sometimes when I do a cut a section from the top of the cut to the place where I want to paste is selected when I try to paste.

I am able to clear the selection by hitting the shift key. I have no idea why.

Then when I go to paste, I get the thing I cut plus a previous cut both pasted in place.

To fix that I need to hit undo before I paste and cut again and paste.
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
Kakoroat

On both replies

Post by Kakoroat »

On the first reply, I hadn't tried the Refresh option before, but when it happened again, I tried it and it didn't work (thanks anyway).
On the second reply, I've never encountered that. The thing it reminds me of is something wierd in the Visual Studio Editor(however that is a topic for a VS forum).

(Something I didn't state in the original post) I can still copy and paste normally. It just isn't being captured in the History anymore. I'm just spoiled now due to the technology and have really become dependent on the clipboard history. (I apologize if this sounds whiney).
I am.
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

This is something I've come across before in v4.5.3 and it is happening again in v5.0. My instance of TP has been running for a fairly long time and now it is no longer recording copies or cuts in the Clipboard History. I've tried refreshing the library and clearing the history and neither has fixed the problem, so now my Clipboard History is empty and stays empty.

The only solution I've found is to restart TP. Incidentally, running a second instance of TP doesn't help; its Clipboard History also doesn't function. I'm running v5.0 on XP Pro SP2.

Andrew
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

I'm sorry to say that the problem above still occurs in v5.1.0. Right now, my clipboard history has stopped updating. I can still copy and paste in TextPad, and can also insert previous entries from the history, but copying or cutting text, either from TextPad or another application, does not add a new entry to the clipboard history.

Unfortunately, I can't find a way to reproduce the problem. It just happens every so often. I'm running v5.1.0 on Vista Home Premium.

Andrew
Kakoroat

Post by Kakoroat »

I haven't found a fix for this yet, but I did find something that can occassionally be a cause. If you use Remote Desktop, it can sometimes mess up the copy paste history engine thingie.
I am.