ctrl+tab switching

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Moz

looks like there are three choices needed

Post by Moz »

Re-reading this, looks as though all of these are being asked for from CTRL-TAB:
1: current MRU behavior
2: file open order (the original request)
3: document selector order

Currently there are commands for 1 and 2, but not 3. 1 is "WindowNext", 2 is "WindowPaneNext" but 3 is not available.

I dunno about anyone else, but my document selector is sorted alphbetically, and that's the order I expect ctrl-tab to work in. If I turn on document tabs I get the file open order, but since I never use that it doesn't make any sense to me if I use the existing CTRL-F6 behavior.
_Jon

Post by _Jon »

I wrote a request for such a feature change and received a nice reply explaining how the current feature works and that my request conflicted with it. I replied that perhaps it could be a toggle that the user could specify which behavior the CTRL-TAB keystroke would follow. The follow-on reply indicated that this idea / suggestion would be added to the idea list for future versions.

That was a couple of years ago.

I'm posting this because I've just had a frustrating experience with the CTRL-TAB bug bouncing me around the wrong files all morning. I'm in a hurry and the PC / Textpad isn't keeping up. I'm frustrated to the point of creating an account here to vent and beg for a feature patch / bug fix.

I've resorted to opening multiple copies of Textpad and putting a small set of files in each one. Windows' ALT-TAB is predictable to a point.

Just a simple check-box or a macro or a re-programmable keystroke or something similar.

Please. Help me out here.
OnlyTextPad

Switch between tabs

Post by OnlyTextPad »

I agree that the order is not what you could have for example in Opera ...
Yet my solution is to have Document Selector open and with configured Alt + 1 to switch between the Document Selector and the current tab.