Opening a new Textpad instance when I open a new file

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

davegonzalez

Opening a new Textpad instance when I open a new file

Post by davegonzalez »

Hi All,

I used to have Textpad set up, so double-clicking (opening) a new file would result in another instance of Textpad. You could actually have many Textpad instances running with different files. Each instance would be separate from the others on the taskbar. It is not doing this anymore. Everytime I open a new file, Textpad loads it into the currently running instance. You have to use the file selector or click on "Window" to see what files are in use. How can I switch it back, so that a new instance comes up every time I open another (further) file?

Dave :?
Leif

Post by Leif »

Configure | Preferences | General: Allow multiple instances to run
Is that what you want?
davegonzalez

Nope!

Post by davegonzalez »

Hi Leif,

Thanks for the input but that is how I already have Textpad configured. What I would like is this: I already have a file open in Textpad. When I go to the desktop and open a new file (usually by double clicking on it), I want Text pad to open a completely new instance - meaning a second window is open. Right now when I open this second file, I can only access the other file by clicking on "Window" and looking at the file listing there. It is easier for me to be able to click on each instance of Textpad on the taskbar at the bottom. Everything used to happen the way I am describing but I have a new office computer and Textpad is behaving differently in this way.

Dave
daveokeeffe

Post by daveokeeffe »

Hi Dave, have you tried using the document selector? Go to View | Document Selector, or press F11. It will list all open files.
allans

Re: Opening a new Textpad instance when I open a new file

Post by allans »

Dave,

I understand your problem. After moving to a new computer and installing and configuring TextPad exactly the same as on my old machine, I'm also now getting all double-clicked documents opening in the same instance on the task bar. Curiously, if I highlight them all in Explorer and then right-click > edit (not TextPad), each opens in a new TextPad window.

Have you made any progress on getting the desired behavior? It's a real pain when one accidently :shock: closes a pile of documents when intending to close only one, even with the document selector in sight.

Thanks,
Allan
helios

Post by helios »

Please try implementing the following procedure:

If you haven't already made the file associations in TextPad, then you will need to do that, first.

From the Configure menu choose:

1. Preferences
2. Associated Files
3. Add the file extension
4. Click Apply / OK.

In Explorer(My Computer):

From the Tools menu in Explorer choose:

1. Folder options
2. File types
3. Select the file extension from the list
4. Click on Advanced
5. Under Actions, click on Open and then click on the Edit button
6. Untick Use DDE and click OK

I hope this helps.
Helios Software Solutions
neodem

Same Problem

Post by neodem »

Yup.. I've the same issue, and it's making me crazy. It used to be that whenever you opened a file it would fire up a new instance of TP to open it. Now, if there is an instance of TP already open, it opens the file in that instance. I can't turn off this behavior no matter what I try.

Anyone?
helios

Post by helios »

Have you tried the instructions that I submitted in July?
Helios Software Solutions
neodem

Post by neodem »

At first, I did and the DDE and Advanced buttons weren't visible. So I gave up. I played around some more later in the day and found that I could 'Restore' the association and then the Advanced and DDE buttons became visible. I did as you mentioned and then it worked... for about an hour at which point the windows association changed back again to something else. So, at this point I'm convinced that this is a windows issue and not Textpad.. I'm still trying to find what is changing the association..

Thanks