Printing Underscores

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

graham_harris

Printing Underscores

Post by graham_harris »

Hi,

I have a problem printing underscores on Fuji-Xerox Document Centre printers with TextPad 4.7.3.

I use Courier or Courier New- it makes no difference. Underscores, and indeed the tails of characters like p and j print fine unless the line below has tall characters (t, i, j etc) in. In that circumstances the underscores and tails are lost- perhaps hidden behind a border of whitespace above the line below.

Word and Notepad print the same text (programming code) with underscores and tails all visible. Notepad uses marginally more paper to print the same amount of code- it seems to me that textpad is cramming lines together too tightly.

I'm not using the Double Space option in printing (please don't tell me to).

Hope to hear of an easy resolution...
helios

Post by helios »

Please check if you have set the correct font for the printer as well as for the screen.

From the Configure menu choose:

1. Preferences
2. "+" sign next to Document classes
3. "+" sign next to the specific document class
4. Font
Helios Software Solutions
graham_harris

Post by graham_harris »

Thanks, Helios for the suggestion. But I have got the same font chosen for both printing, as you suggest, and screen display.
helios

Post by helios »

Please try selecting an in built printer font other than Courier New. You can identify the printer fonts as they should have a hash type icon next to them.
Helios Software Solutions
graham_harris

Post by graham_harris »

Thanks again.

From the Preferences; Document Classes; <doc type>; Font, with Scope set to Both I chose Courier which has a printer symbol next to it. Apply, OK, then print and the problem remains the same. Where there is a line below, underscores and tails are not printed. Underscores and tails are printed in portions of lines where the line below has no character directly below the tail.

I could keep trying different fonts. For my purposes, only monospaced fonts are useful (and your dialog doesn't allow me to filter for monospaced fonts- a useful and very easy addition, if I may suggest it?) but there are hundreds listed. And Textpad doesn't (probably can't) show me a sample of what printer fonts will look like in the dialog.