Problems with network drives

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

BillSeurer

Problems with network drives

Post by BillSeurer »

Textpad suffers from several problems working on networked drives.

#1) If you try to open a file from the list of quick documents and the networked drive requires you to log in textpad fails to bring up the logon dialog. Other programs handle this properly.
#1a) When you try the above the file is removed from the list of quick documents so even if you go open the drive and sign-in separately TextPad forgets about the document.
#3) If you have a networked drive where Windows will sign you in automatically (your userid/PW on the remote system are the same as on Windows) you can't open a workspace on the networked drive until the drive has been accessed in some other way. Textpad doesn't seem to wait long enough for the drive to become available (perhaps it times out?). If you use TextPad to open a file on that networked drive first (or access it some other way) that works OK and then you can open a workspace there.
#2a) When the above happens Textpad removes the workspace from the quick list of workspaces.

All of the above happened to me this morning (as in many, many previous times) and it finally irked me enough to complain about it.

Also, Textpad hangs if a network drive disappears underneath it (the remove system is rebooted or something) but I haven't had that happen in a while and don't want to experiment to see the exact circumstances. I think I was actively editing the file when it occurred.
ninjalabs

Post by ninjalabs »

That's normal for a lot of apps. Textpad is one of the worst.

I tend to use a subversion source control repository and check the files out onto my local disk and work locally as it's much more reliable (and you get source control!).
TextPad redneck since 1999.
NinjaLabs is now CSWD Limited!