Textpad just freaked out and crashed when I indented

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

I Steal Toast

Textpad just freaked out and crashed when I indented

Post by I Steal Toast »

This has only happened once so far, but I figure you might want to know anyway. I was writing some code and selected a bunch of text to indent it (it already had one tab of indentation). When I pressed Alt+Right (to indent) some of the text became indented properly, some went way to the left (completely un-indented; all whitespace before it disappeared), and most of it became indented way too far (maybe 20 tabs added instead of just one). I fixed it up to how it had been, tried again, and it crashed.

Also, not related but I noticed if I open a backup file that Textpad creates, and save it, I get some errors about not being able to make a backup (as I'm editing the backup itself).
I stole your toast.
ben_josephs

Re: Textpad just freaked out and crashed when I indented

Post by ben_josephs »

I Steal Toast wrote:When I pressed Alt+Right (to indent) some of the text became indented properly, some went way to the left (completely un-indented; all whitespace before it disappeared), and most of it became indented way too far (maybe 20 tabs added instead of just one). I fixed it up to how it had been, tried again, and it crashed.
Which command have you got Alt+Right assigned to? I have no idea why it crashed, but could the strange effect be the result of having word wrap turned on?
I Steal Toast wrote:if I open a backup file that Textpad creates, and save it, I get some errors about not being able to make a backup (as I'm editing the backup itself).
In Configure | Preferences | Backup have you chosen to Backup FILE.EXT as: FILE.BAK? If so, you're trying to save a back-up of FILE.BAK as FILE.BAK.
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

Hmmmm, it sounds like someone else has managed to reproduce some of the weirdness I've had before. Too lazy to go hunt down my post but there was no rhyme or reason on why it'd happen and it was not occuring at a frequency that concerns me but sometimes I've run into that issue. I will tab and TP just dies, no Dr. Watson, no preferences saved, just a silent but ungraceful shutdown.

I will indent a block and it'll act like I've right justified it or something. I undo that and can tab just fine on a per line basis. Tabbing a block will continue to slam them all way out on the right side. I know at that point that I should save everything and manually close it out because it's going to hork but I'm too much of a programmer to give up without trying to figure out the triggering events. Blessedly, it's been some time since that's happened for me and TextPad is one of two things that is always open on my machines.
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.