Repeatedly getting corrupt workspace, unable to load entire

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

edactic

Repeatedly getting corrupt workspace, unable to load entire

Post by edactic »

I'm having ongoing problems with reloading my workspace after a graceful exit from TextPad (i.e., not a textpad crash, not a system crash). I consider a normal windows shutdown (without first shutting down Textpad) to be something that Textpad has the responsibility to handle. Error message on next startup is that entire workspace could not be reloaded. Only reloads some of the files, and simply cascades the windows. Pretty lame. All the tedious work I did to get all those source files open (often 3 dozen or more) and oriented the way I wanted goes out the window. Really a major inconvenience. The files are all in the same place, and are not locked by other processes. There's clearly a bug in the code that handles workspace management or TWS files, and I wish it could be resolved. Thank you.
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Did you try saving your workspace using File->Workspace->Save As with a diffrent WS name? What version of TP are you using? Latest is 4.7.3. HTH

(Off topic but just to get it off my chest, I find all your fickle talk about crashes highly disturbing, if not sobering - lord help me! I've had many PC's since I bought TP and TP does not crash, period. Not on any of my systems, period. Ever, period. See any pattern here? Period. If your system does indeed crash while using TP try new hardware. Period.)
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
edactic

Post by edactic »

s_reynisson wrote:(Off topic but just to get it off my chest, I find all your fickle talk about crashes highly disturbing
What I was trying to imply is that there are no crashes. There's no extrinsic explanation for why the workspace gets corrupted. Exit windows gracefully with TP open (and many files open in the workspace). Later, start TP up again and go to that workspace. Corrupted. Won't load.
helios

Post by helios »

If the Workspace has been corrupted in some way, I suggest that you delete it, and create a new Workspace for this particular set of files.

You can do this as follows:

With your existing Workspace open in TextPad, from the Edit menu, choose Copy Other /All File Names, and then paste this into a new document. Save this as Files.txt. Next, use the Close All command on the File Menu.
Open the Quick Open dialog box using Ctrl+Shift+O. Type the fully qualified file path to Files.txt into the box, and prefix it with @.

For example: @C:\Documents and Settings\edactic\My Documents\Temp\Files.txt

Click OK, and all of the listed files should open in TextPad. You can save these as a new Workspace, although you should be aware that you will have lost any Bookmarks and Cursor positions etc.

I hope this helps.
Helios Software Solutions
I Steal Toast

Post by I Steal Toast »

I had a similar problem before; when I saved the workspace, next time I tried to load it no files would actually open. It seems to have stopped, though. I'm not sure what might have caused it. :(
I stole your toast.